Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
John D. Arnett, one of the leading merchants and substantial business men of Tiptonville, is the son of George W. and Lorinda (Rogers) Arnett. Both parents were natives of Hamilton County, Tennessee; the father was born in 1822 and the mother in 1823. They married in that county and moved to Arkansas, and from there moved to Lake County four years ago, where they have since made their home with John Arnett, our subject. They had seven children, four girls and three boys. Mr. and Mrs. Arnett both belong to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. During the Florida war Mr. Arnett served as a soldier, his father being a major in the war. He is a strong democrat, and most of his life has been a merchant, but of late years has been farming. Mr. and Mrs. Arnett are both living now.
Our subject was of Scotch Irish descent on both the father’s and mother’s side, was born in Hamilton County October 10, 1842; he had good school advantages, and in 1856 attended within a year of graduation the Cumberland University, and after the war closed graduated there in 1867, then entered the law department and graduated in 1869.
In 1872 he married Mattie Moore, born in Hernando, Mississippi in 1844, and they had two children: George M. and William. Mr. Arnett is a democrat, and with his wife is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He owns the largest store and stock of goods in Tiptonville, besides a cotton gin and 800 acres of land. For fourteen years he has been in business in Tiptonville, and is now one of he substantial, successful business men of the place and for twelve years has filled the office of circuit court clerk.