Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Lowell Massachusetts Genealogy

Tracing ancestors in Lowell, Massachusetts online and for free has been greatly enhanced by the University of Massachusetts in Lowell which provided digitized version of a large quantity of the Lowell public records. Combined with the cemetery and census records available freely online, you should be able to easily trace your ancestors from the founding of Lowell in 1826 through 1940, the last year of available census records. To add color to the otherwise basic facts of your ancestors existence we provide free access to a wide range of manuscripts on the history of Lowell, it’s manufactures and residents.

Biography of Francis W. Dickey

Francis W. Dickey is president of the Central Storage Company and is also prominently identified with other business interests. He was formerly secretary and treasurer of the E. P. Dickey Racine Fanning Mill Company. He was born in Racine, February 6, 1863, a son of Edwin P. and Gertrude L. (Fratt) Dickey. The former, a native of Geneseo, New York, came to Racine in the fall of 1844, joining his uncle, A. P. Dickey, who had arrived in this city in 1840. For a short time he worked for his uncle and then began the manufacture of fanning mills under his own name, while later the business was reorganized under the style of the E. P. Dickey Fanning Mill Company. Before leaving the east Edwin P. Dickey had engaged in the manufacture of fanning mills in New York. In 1840 he became a resident of Marshall, Michigan, where he turned his attention to the manufacture of wire cloth. In 1844, as previously stated, he arrived in Racine and here he was connected with wire cloth manufacturing, principally for Case & Company, until 1850, when he resumed the fanning mill business. To him, perhaps, belongs the credit of the invention of the process of separating grain in the sieve, for Mr. Dickey invented the adjustable grader for grading, and hurdle for separating oats from barley. In 1881, yielding to the necessity of more room and more extended operations, the corporation was formed with a capital of five thousand dollars, with E. P. Dickey as president and F. W. Dickey, secretary and treasurer. In addition to fanning mills the company took...

Biography of Eames Dickey

Eames Dickey was born of Irish parents in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, September 3, 1788, came to the northwestern territory with his father’s family in 1798 and settled first in Washington county. When a young man Mr. Dickey was employed as a post rider to carry the mail on horseback, between Marietta and Chillicothe, a distance of about one hundred miles. Between 18o6 and 1814 he was variously engaged in the mail service, sometimes as a sub contractor, but always doing the riding of one hand himself. At that time the mail service in this section was one of great hardship and frequently of danger, as the numerous streams along the route, all destitute of bridges, were often swollen and had to be crossed at the peril of life. From 1812 to 1814, during the war with Great Britain, the great East and West mail was sent over this route, the bag being sometimes nearly filled with government dispatches alone. The riders (three in number), each made one round trip a week from Marietta to Chillicothe and return, regardless of weather and of all obstacles. Mr. Dickey once swam the creek near Amesville in the night, running great risk and getting the mail thoroughly wet. On reaching John Brown’s in Ames, one of his regular stopping places, he spent a short time drying the mail bag before the fire and then went on in the darkness. During the war the contract required the mail to be carried at the rate of five miles an hour, and the government enforced the condition rigorously. . Mr. Dickey became noted for his energy and...

Biographical Sketch of Jesse M. Dickey

Jesse M. Dickey was born in Macon county, Illinois, October 7, 1841, and was reared and educated in the same county. In 1855 he came to Daviess county this State, and located in Lincoln township, engaging in farming till the spring of 1871, when he came to Jamesport and embarked in the general merchandise business, and is still engaged hi the same line. When the war began in 1861 Mr. Dickey enlisted in Company D; of the Fifty-first Missouri Volunteers, with the rank of sergeant and was assigned to the commissary department. He served till the war was closed and was honorably discharged. Mr. Dickey was married, in this county, on the 20th of April, 1862, to Miss Caroline Hamilton, a native of Daviess county, born September 12, 1845. They are the parents of three children: Martha A. and Mary F., still living, and an infant, deceased. Mr. Dickey is one of the solid business men of Jamesport, and his obliging disposition and general fair dealing have built him up a good trade in his...

Biography of Dudley R. Dickey, M. D.

Dudley R. Dickey, M. D., is a California pioneer of 1850, and the longest in the medical practice of all physicians in San Bernardino County. He is a Buckeye by nativity, born in Washington County, Ohio, January 11, 1829. His paternal grandfather, who had been a soldier in the Revolutionary war, settled in Athens County in that State soon after the birth of our republic, and there the Doctor’s father, Thomas Dickey, was born. He moved from Washington County and settled in Fairfield, Jefferson County, Iowa, in 1836, when that State was a part of Wisconsin Territory. Dr. Dickey was educated in the schools of Iowa; studied medicine and graduated from McDowell Medical College, University of Missouri, in 1849. His father having come to California the previous year, the Doctor started from Fairfield in the spring of 1850 to cross the plains, and arrived at Hangtown in July of that year. From there he went to Oskaloosa bar, on the middle fork of the American river, where he joined his father in some mining interests. In the spring of 1851, he went to Rough and Ready mine near Shasta City; that summer he went to Monterey, and in the fall came down to Los Angeles, reaching there in October, 1851. He settled in El Monte and there divided his time between the practice of his profession and farming until October, 1855, when he located in San Bernardino, which has been his home ever since. The first two years of his practice here was largely among the Mormon settlers, a majority of whom returned to Salt Lake in 1857 in...

Pin It on Pinterest