Andrews, J. E., Dr.
The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
DR. J. E. ANDREWS. Of late years it has been discovered that the profession of dentistry has been practiced from the earliest ages, but the knowledge of this science has become so perfected that it is now an art. One of the ablest exponents of this branch of human endeavor is Dr. J. E. Andrews, who is the only prominent practicing dentist of Harrison, in which city he has a well-appointed office and a large and lucrative clientele. He was born in Memphis, Tennessee, November 16, 1862, his father, W.H. Andrews, having been a North Carolinian, born in 1827 or 1828. At the time of his death, which resulted from yellow fever, in Memphis in 1873, he was engaged in the mercantile business, and was well known and highly honored in that section. His father, Capt. John Edmond Andrews, was a North Carolinian, but at an early day removed to Tennessee and settled near Dresden, on the old Hickman and Dresden road, where he followed planting and became wealthy, being the owner of a large number of slaves. He died many years ago. W. H. Andrews was married at the age of twenty-eight years to Miss Julia Grace, an accomplished and prepossessing lady of great musical ability, who composed the noted " Grace Waltz." She was related to the poet, John G. Whittier. She died in 1874, having become the mother of seven children, six boys and one girl, four of whom are living at the present time and five reached maturity: E. M., of Brownwood, Tex.; Dr. J.E., of Harrison, Arkansas; J. H., who died at the age of twenty-two years in Paducah, Kentucky; Miss Grace, who is living in Union City, Tennessee, and Eugene, who also resides there; William B. died at the age of four years; and Harry, who died at the age of three years. These children were reared in the Missionary Baptist faith, the mother being a member of that church. In the social circles of Memphis the family stood very high. The father was in the Confederate service during the latter part of the war, under Gen. Forrest, and his brother, R.P. Andrews, was a lieutenant in Forrest's command. Another brother, James Andrews, was killed at Corinth, Miss. The father was a Mason of the thirty-first degree, took much interest in the order, and was active in all good work. Dr. J. E. Andrews, is the only professional member of the family. His early life was spent in the schools of Memphis, which he attended regularly up to his eleventh or twelfth year, when, on account of the death of both his father and mother, he was forced to leave school to fight the battle of life for himself. Through earnest and persistent effort he obtained means with which to pay his way through school, and in August, 1884, he began the study of dentistry under Dr. R. C. Reynolds, of Mayfield, Kentucky, who was then practicing in Tennessee. A year later he entered the office of Dr. T. J. Reynolds at Camden, Tennessee, and practiced under his instructions for some time, when a partnership was formed and they located in Harrison, Arkansas, in 1887. In 1890 the Doctor graduated in the department of Dental Surgery of Vanderbilt University, and returning to Harrison bought his partner's interest in the business, and since that time has been conducting it alone. He is considered one of the most capable, careful and painstaking dentists of the county, and his time is fully and profitably occupied. His reputation has been gained through honest and faithful work, and his office, located over the Bank of Harrison, is a neatly and appropriately fitted one. October 20, 1891, he married Miss Oza Allen, daughter of Hon. W. S. Allen, who now lives in Newton County, but was formerly a resident of Boone County. Mrs. Andrews was born in this county in 1871, and she and the Doctor have a handsome and comfortable residence in the northwest part of Harrison. He is a stockholder in the Bank of Harrison, is somewhat interested in the real estate business, and besides his home is the owner of other property in the town. He is a Democrat in politics, a public-spirited citizen, and is a member of Boone Lodge No. 314, of the A. F. & A. M., and for two years has been secretary of the same. Mrs. Andrews is a member of the Christian Church, and she and the Doctor move in the best social circles of Harrison. Their home has become known as a most hospitable one.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894