Lincoln, Edgar S.
The following data is extracted from Windham County, Connecticut History.
Jonah Lincoln, the great-grandfather of Edgar S. Lincoln, was in his day a man of prominence in his town. He was for a long time judge of probate for what are now the towns of Hampton, Windham and Chaplin, and held various other offices of trust. He was the father of Dan Lincoln, who in 1812 married Mehitable Flint. Among their eight children was a son Jared, born September 8th, 1823, in Windham, from whence he removed to Scotland and later to Chaplin. He was in early life a teacher, and afterward engaged in mercantile pursuits in Chaplin. He has for years been prominent in public affairs, represented his town in the state legislature and held various town offices. He married Joanna, daughter of Darius Spafford, of Scotland. Their two children are Edgar S. and Clinton D., the latter having died in infancy.
Edgar S. Lincoln was born August 2d.1847, in Scotland, where, upon the farm his youthful years were spent. Removing at the age of ten to Chaplin, he pursued his studies until the age of sixteen, and then entered Eastman's Commercial College at Poughkeepsie. After graduating he taught school several terms and finally entered his father's store in Chaplin as clerk. In 1871 he purchased the business which has since been successfully and profitably managed by him.
Mr. Lincoln was on the 8th of January, 1568, married to Miss Catherine F., daughter of David A. Griggs of the same town. They have two daughters, Lucy G. and Mabel S. Mr. Lincoln is a, republican in his political affiliations.. He has studiously avoided all tenders of office, the only exceptions being the acceptance of the position of probate judge and his election to the state legislature in 1880, both of which came to him unsought. He has taken no active part in the political contests of the day, finding his interests to center more directly in the field of business enterprise. He is a member of the First Congregational church of Chaplin and has been for ten years superintendent of the Sunday school.
Source: Windham County, Connecticut History