Bailey, Charles A.
The following data is extracted from Merrimack and Sullivan Counties, New Hampshire Biographies.
Charles A. Bailey, an able business man of Merrimack County, New Hampshire, and an esteemed resident of Hookset, was born in Pembroke, November 11, 1847, son of Charles and Sarah A. (Edmunds) Bailey. His paternal grandfather, Josiah Bailey, was born in Chester, Rockingham County, this State, on February 11, 1766. When a young man he removed with his family to Pembroke, Merrimack County, and was there engaged as a miller until his death, February 19, 1854. His wife, whose maiden name was Ruth Frost, was born March 8, 1769, in Tewksbury, Mass., and died in Pembroke, N.H., November 28, 1835. They were married November 15, 1792, and were the parents of ten children.
Charles, the youngest child, was born in Dunbarton, N.H., September 28, 1810, and when but four years of age accompanied his parents to Pembroke, where he grew to manhood and was educated. He followed farming in connection with brickmaking for many years, coming from Pembroke to Hookset in 1852. Here he purchased the estate now owned and occupied by his widow, and was engaged in his two occupations until his death, June 2, 1896, being a most successful business man. He was highly esteemed wherever known for his uprightness of character. Politically, Pembroke served as Selectman two terms. Both he and his good wife early united with the Methodist Church of Suncook. On April 1, 1841, he married Miss Sarah A. Edmunds, daughter of Captain Edward Edmunds, of Chichester, N.H., where her birth occurred December 9, 1821. Four children were the fruit of their union, and three of them are now living, as follows: Mary E., born October 16, 1843; Abbie J., born December 27, 1845, now residing in Suncook, the widow of the late Hall B. Emery; and Charles A., the special subject of this sketch.
Charles A. Bailey acquired his elementary education in the public schools of Hookset, and further advanced in learning by an attendance at the Pembroke Academy. He subsequently worked on the home farm several seasons, and also engaged in brick manufacturing until 1877, when he embarked in a new enterprise. Purchasing nineteen acres of rocky land in Allenstown, in the vicinity of Suncook village, Merrimack County, he spent his energies in developing its resources, and by his able management soon had a good paying granite quarry in full operation. Succeeding well with this, he has since bought other land near by, and has built two and one-half miles of railroad, which he operates with his own locomotive. He has now more than one hundred acres of land, about one-fifth of which is in a good state of cultivation, and is devoted to general farming. In connection with his quarrying he has an extensive trade, shipping granite to all parts of New England and to many of the Western States. Mr. Bailey has continued his residence in his native town, and is prominently identified with its leading interests.
Mr. Bailey married December 16, 1875, Miss Mary J., daughter of Harvey and Mary (Putnam) Dennison, of Allenstown. Five children have brightened their pleasant home, namely: Hall Edward and Harvey Dennison, twins, born January 4, 1877; Clara Louise, born January 17, 1879, died the following August; Charles Parker, born June 16, 1885; and Emery Ward, born January 10, 1887. Politically, Mr. Bailey is a steadfast Republican. Fraternally, he is a thirty-second degree Mason, belonging to Jewell Lodge, No. 29, F. & A. M., of Suncook; Trinity Chapter, Horace Chase Council; Mount Horeb Commandery, Ariel Council, P. of J.; Aaron P. Hughes Lodge of Perfection; and St. George Chapter, Rose Croix. Mr. and Mrs. Bailey are valued members of the Methodist church.
Source: Merrimack and Sullivan Counties, New Hampshire Biographies