Finney, Charles C., M. D.
The following data is extracted from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans.
Charles C. Finney, M. D. A native of Atchison and a representative of a pioneer family in that city, Dr. Charles Finney had his introduction to the profession of medicine during an erperience of eight years while he was in the hospital department of the Missouri Pacific Railway under Dr. D. J. Holland. He realized the possibilities of a professional career, was encouraged by his friends to make use of his talents in that direction, and soon entered the Beaumont Medical College at St. Louis, Missouri, where he was gradusted M. D. on March 14, 1894.
Since his graduation in medieine Doctor Finney had conducted a general medical and surgical practice at Atchison. From 1894 to 1908 he was local surgeon for the Missouri Pacific Railway. His skill and reputation have increased until he is now one of the leading members in the medical fraternity in Western Kansas.
Doctor Finney was born at Atchison February 1, 1865. His father, M. C. Finney, was born in Fermoy, near Cork, Ireland, in 1822. When a young man he came to America and lived for brief pcriods in New York City and St. Louis. He had the zest for adventure characteristic of his Irish nationality, and he was more than willing to take a part in the tempestuous affairs of Kansas during the early territorial epoch. In the fall of 1856 he came to Atchison, and lived in that city until his death in 1871. For many years he served as wharf master, and was also a merchant, dealing in grain produce and other supplies. He affiliated with the democratic party, served as a member of the City Council, and was active in the Catholic Church. M. C. Finney married Kate Kathrens, who was born at Middlebury, Vermont, in 1839, and now makes her home at 508 North Second Street in Atcbison. Her father, Charles James Kathrens, was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1787, and after coming to America located in Middlebury, Vermont, moved from there to Huntsville, Alabama, and in 1870 came to Atchison, Kansas, where he died in 1874. He was a music teacher and followed that profession during most of his active years. M. C. Finney and wife had five children: James K., who was a hardware salesman for the Mumssy Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, lived in Atchison and died in 1900, at the hospital in Leavenworth; Mamie, who died at the age of fifteen months; Agnes M., wife of William A. True, living at 508 North Second Street in Atchison, Mr. True being locomotive engineer with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; Dr. Charles C.; and Edwin, who died at the age of 1 1/2 years.
Doctor Finney grew up in Atchison, attended the graded schools and for three years was a student in St. Benediet's College. Then followed his experience in hospital work and his active professional career which continues to the present time.
Doctor Finney is one of the leading democrats of the city. For six years he represented the Second Ward in the City Council. He was first elected when that ward was solidly republican by more than 100 majority, and yet he won the election by 243 votes. In April, 1913, he was further honored by election to the office of mayor, and gave the city a businesslike and capable administration until 1916. Doctor Finney owned his home at 510 North Second Street, and had extensive realty possessions, including about twenty dwelling houses in the city. He and his family are members of the Catholie Church and he is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Anti-Horse Thief Association and the Fraternal Aid Union.
Doctor Finney married in 1904 Miss Louise Zibold, daughter of Herman and Rosa (Franz) Zibold. Her mother now resided on Price Boulevard in Atchison. Her father, now deceased, was proprietor of the Zibold and Haeglin Brewery. Doctor and Mrs. Finney have one son, Charles H., born February 17, 1907, and now attending the fifth grade of the public schools.
Source: A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans