N. Brown & Sons
The following data is extracted from Harney County, Oregon, Business establishments.
This pioneer establishment, the largest general merchandise store in the state off the railroad, had its beginning in a small way. It was started in 1854 by Nathan Brown who bad associated with himself his sons Leon M. and Ben. From that time their business has gradually grown until 18l6, they were compelled to erect their present quarters, which is built of stone, and is 59x119, two stories high. In this they carry the most complete line of general merchandise in the interior, catering largely to the sheep and cattlemen, and aim to sell goods at railroad prices, freight added. In this they have succeeded judging from the amount of goods they handle, their shipments to carry them through the winter alone amounting to over 290,000 pounds, requiring 36 and 8-horse teams to haul it into the interior. The business is largely under the management of Leon and Bell Brown, both young men of more than ordinary ability, and also very popular with the general public. They have been connected with it since its infancy and are thoroughly conversant with the needs of their legions of customers. Being equipped with plenty of funds with which to transact business, they buy their goods in the cheapest markets and aim to give their customers the benefit.
Source: Harney County, Oregon, Business establishments