New Hampshire Bells
The following data is extracted from Bell Family History.
Matthew Bell was born in Kirk Connell, on the river Nith in the northwestern part of Dumfrishire , Scotland . He emigrated to the northern part of Ireland in the latter part of the seventeenth century and was in the city of Londonderry when that place was besieged in 1689. Sons: Matthew and John.
John Bell, the youngest son, was born in Ballymoney, county Antrim , Ireland , 1679; married, about 1712, Elizabeth Todd. He came to America , as is supposed, in 1719, landed at Boston and spent some time in Andover , Mass. , before he settled in Londonderry , N. H., in 1720. He held a number of town offices, and died July 8, 1743 , "about sixty-four years of his age," as his tombstone says. He had nine children, of whom six left descendants.
1. Letitia Bell, born in Ireland , married George Duncan of Londonderry .
2. Naomi Bell, born in Ireland , married William Duncan of Londonderry , who
was a captain in the militia.
3. Samuel Bell, born September 28, 1723 , removed to Cambridge , N. Y. He married Sarah Storrow. Before Bennington battle he was taken prisoner by the British with his two sons, John and Matthew; his sons escaped but died soon after. He died in Cambridge about 1803. His sons Samuel and
Ebenezer are supposed to have left children.
4. Elizabeth Bell, born December 28, 1725 , married James Duncan of Haverhill , Mass.
5. Mary Bell, born January 25, 1727-8 , married George Duncan of Peterborough .
6. John Bell, horn August 15 or 26, 1730, continued to reside in the house built by his father, till his death, November 30, 1825 . He married, December
21, 1758, Mary Ann Gilmore, and had twelve children, of whom the following left descendants: Susanna married John Dinsmore; John, born July 20, 1765 , died March 23, 1836 , married Persis Thom, was of Londonderrv and afterwards of Chester , N. H., governor of New Hampshire, 1828; Samuel, born February 9, 1770 , died December 23, 1850 , governor of New Hampshire , 1819--23, United States senator, 1823-1835;
Mary married Captain William Anderson of Londonderry .
Source: Bell Family History