Holekamp, Carl Harry
The following data is extracted from Centennial History of Missouri.
Carl Harry Holekamp is the vice president and treasurer of the Holekamp Lumber Company of Webster Groves and is also mayor of that city-positions which indicate his commercial and political prominence and influence. Born in St. Louis on the 2d of July, 1882, he is a son of Robert A. and Jennie (Henckler) Holekamp. The father, a native of Germany, came to the United States when a young man of eighteen or nineteen. This was immediately following the Civil war. He found employment in a hardware establishment in St. Louis and subsequently became a clerk in the Second National Bank, being later promoted to the position of cashier. Early in the '70s he became one of the founders of the sash and door factory of Gray & Holekamp, which was operated successfully for a number of years and then sold to C. H. Huttig about 1890. Since that time Mr. Holekamp has practically lived retired at 4262 Virginia avenue. He is the president of the Holekamp Lumber Company of Webster Groves and has various other business investments. He is a recognized authority in Missouri on bee culture and was on the state board of apiarists for some years and instrumental in having a bill passed creating a state inspector for the industry.
Carl Harry Holekamp was educated in the St. Louis high school and the St. Louis Educational Institute. He then accepted a position in the St. Louis sash and door factory, acquainting himself with every detail of the planing mill business and winning advancement until he was made general estimator and sales manager of the company. In 1907 he removed to Webster Groves to establish his present business, giving to T. H. Flint an interest in the business that he might act as manager thereof while Mr. Holekamp should continue his work with the St. Louis Sash & Door Company. In 1908 the infant concern which he had founded the previous year had grown to such an extent that Mr. Holekamp resigned his St. Louis position in order to concentrate his entire efforts and attention upon the further upbuilding of the Webster Groves business. In 1909 the company was reorganized and incorporated as the Holekamp Lumber Company, and his father was taken in as a partner and elected to the presidency. Mr. Flint having accepted a call from Seattle and resigning, Mr. Holekamp purchased his interests here. At that time the company owned but two yards, one at Webster Groves and the other at Afton, Carl H. Holekamp having purchased the second one prior to the incorporation of the business. The Holekamp Lumber Company today operates six yards, having in addition to those at Webster Groves and Afton, the Old Orchard yards, the Kirkwood yards, the Gratiot Street yards in St. Louis and the Maplewood yards, so that his interests have become most important as a representative of the lumber trade of the St. Louis district.
Aside from his other interests Mr. Holekamp is a director and secretary of the St. Louis Trade Exchange, is a director of the Webster Groves Trust Company and vice president of the Stockholders Realty Company, a subsidiary of the Webster Groves Trust Company. He is likewise a director of the Lee Realty Company, a corporation formed for the purpose of building homes as a solution to the housing problem. This company has built and is still erecting many residences in Webster Groves.
In 1912 Mr. Holekamp was united in marriage to Miss Rose Pechmann, of St. Louis, and to them have been born three children: Rose Marie, Nancy Louise and Alice Ruth. The family home is maintained at Webster Groves, where for years Mr. Holekamp has been active in civic affairs. He was president of the Webster Groves Business Men's Association for two terms and for one term served as president of the Webster Groves Civic League which was instrumental in changing the city government from that of the fourth to the third class in 1915 and in 1918 from an aldermanic form of government to a commission form. His active and successful work along these lines led to his being selected for the mayoralty and in April, 1919, he was elected to the office by a majority of twelve to one over his opponent. He is now the incumbent in the office, giving to the city a business-like and progressive administration which has resulted in the introduction of various reforms and improvements. Fraternally Mr. Holekamp is a well-known Mason, belonging to Webster Groves Lodge No. 84, A. F. & A. M.; Missouri Consistory, A. & A. S. R.; and Moolah Temple. A. A. O. N. M. S. He is likewise one of the trustees of the First Congregational church and his interest centers in all those forces and activities which are looking to the welfare and progress of the community, the commonwealth and the country. He is a man of broad vision as related to important questions of this character as well as to business affairs, and he has always had the courage of his convictions, standing in stalwart manner for what he believes to be right.
Source: Centennial History of Missouri