Clancy, S F. M. D.
The following data is extracted from Centennial History of Missouri.
One of the young professional men of St. Louis who has gained distinction in his special line is Dr. James F. Clancy, who has established himself as a skilled and successful surgeon. His life record stands in contradistinction to the old adage that a prophet is not without honor save in his own country, for he is a native son of St. Louis, his birth having here occurred September 28, 1886. His parents, James B. and Mary A. (McDonald) Clancy, were natives of Ireland, the former born in Cork and the latter in County Mayo. In young manhood and womanhood they came to the United States, settling in St. Louis, where they were subsequently married and still reside.
Dr. Clancy was educated in the Catholic parochial schools and in ,the St. Louis University, from which he received his M. D. degree in 1912. In the previous year he had been appointed interne at St. Mary's Hospital and his last year's medical study was pursued in that institution. He served an interneship of two years and for a similar period was resident physician of St. Mary's Hospital. In July, 1915, he opened an office in South St. Louis at the corner of Cherokee street and Michigan avenue for the private practice of medicine and for general surgical work. In June, 1918, he was called to service in the European war and in July of that year sailed for France, being attached to the surgical staff of the base hospital at Nevers, France. In January, 1919, he was transferred to the army of occupation at Coblenz, Germany, and there remained to the time of his discharge in June, 1919. He had been commissioned lieutenant and three days after his discharge his commission as captain reached him, after having followed him from point to point through France and Ger. many since the previous March.
Upon his return to St. Louis Captain Clancy opened an office on the 1st of July, 1919. His establishment is situated at Nos. 836-7 University Club building and is equipped in a most modern manner for the conduct of a practice in general surgery, to which he now confines his attention. He is on the staff of St. Mary's Hospital and also is a representative of the anatomical and pathological departments of the St. Louis University. Within a very brief period he has established himself among the skilled and successful surgeons of St. Louis and his powers are developing rapidly, bringing him to a place in the front rank of the representatives of the profession in this city. He belongs to the St. Louis Medical Society, the St. Louis Surgical Clinic, the Missouri State Medical Society and the American Medical Associa. tion and is a member of the Catholic Hospital Association of the United States and Canada.
Dr. Clancy was reared in the Catholic faith and has always been identified with the church. He belongs to the Knights of Columbus, his membership being with Missouri Council, No. 858. Along strictly social lines he is connected with the western Rowing Club and the Triple A Club, the Amateur Athletic Association and the University Club. His interest, however, centers in his professional duties. While he most willingly responded to the country's call for aid in the great World war he at the same time profited much by his wide experience on the other side of the Atlantic and his comprehensive studies at home have placed him in a position where he is well qualified to take charge of most important professional duties. His practice is steadily increasing and his position has become an enviable one.
Source: Centennial History of Missouri