The following data is extracted from Centennial History of Missouri.
Hugo Muench, the youngest son of Friedrich Muench, was born in Warren county, Missouri, July 14, 1851. He received his early education from his father and in Augusta, Missouri, later attended the old Elliot Academy, now Washington University, and was graduated from the St. Louis Law School with the degree of LL. B. in 1873. He entered upon the active practice of his profession in St. Louis, first with M. Dwight Collier, under the firm name of Collier & Muench. This partnership was dissolved in 1878, owing to the ill health of Mr. Collier and after practicing alone for a short time a new association was formed with Frederick A. Cline, under the firm name of Muench & Cline. About six years later, upon the retirement of Judge George W. Lubke from the Circuit bench, the firm of Lubke & Muench was organized, which continued until 1901, when Mr. Muench went to Saxony as Consul, first at Zittau and then at Plauen, Germany. Upon his return in 1905 he formed a partnership with his son, Julius T., and Mr. Lambert E. Walther, under the firm name of Muench, Walther & Muench, and in 1906 was elected judge of the Circuit Court of St. Louis, which position he held until 1913.
Hugo Muench was married November 12, 1874, to Eugenie Thamer, born in St. Louis October 10, 1854, the daughter of Julius Thamer, a native of Kurhessen, Germany, who came to Missouri in 1833, and for many years lived in St. Louis, up to the date of his death in 1892. Mrs. Muench died in St. Louis in 1908. Of the children born of this marriage, four survive: Julius T., a resident of St. Louis; Paula E., wife of J. R. Speckart of Olympia, Washington; Alice F., residing in California; and Hugo, Jr., a physician on the staff of the International Health Board, at present located in Brazil. In 1913 Judge Muench was again married to Miss Elida Kirchner, a native of St. Louis.
Judge Muench has always taken a keen interest in public affairs and in the practice of his profession sought to live up to the very highest standards. He made an excellent record on the Circuit bench, as well as in the consular service. He has been a member of the school board of St. Louis and of various committees and boards connected with the legal profession. He chose as his life's work a profession in which advancement depended entirely upon ability and strict attention to his clients' interests and at the time of his retirement in 1920 ranked as one of the leading lawyers of St. Louis. He is also a member of the St. Louis, Missouri State and American Bar Associations. Since July, 1920, he has been a resident of San Diego, California.
Source: Centennial History of Missouri