First Covenanter Church
The following data is extracted from David and Margaret Mitchell Genealogy.
The late Rev. Dr. J. F. Morton, of Cedarville, say°s in a sketch of Cedarville congregation that in 1804 the family of David Mitchell from Kentucky and that of James Miller of Scotland settled along Clarke's Run and held society meetings for some time, and that in 1809 they were visited by Revs. Thomas Donnelly and John Kell. They were afterward visited by Rev. John Black, who constituted the society and dispensed the sacrament to about ten members. The next few years brought several more families, and the supplies preached in the barns and log houses.
In 1812 they erected the first church building, which was a rude log structure with a clapboard roof, and stood on the farm of James Miller, some seven miles from Xenia. The Rev. John Kell preached for them about one-fourth of the time until 1816. In May, 1816, the Rev. Johnathan Gill became the pastor and remained in this relation for seven years. In 1823 the Rev. Gavin McMillan of Beech Woods gave one-fourth of his time for six years. . He was the last pastor of Margaret Mitchell. In 1824, a new house of worship was erected upon the banks of Massie's Creek, two miles from Cedarville.
The particulars above mentioned are given for the purpose of showing just what advantages the venerable David and Margaret had in the way of their religious affiliation. Not so many nor so comfortable as we now have, but perhaps very much more appreciated by them than are our greater ones by us.
Source: David and Margaret Mitchell Genealogy