It has been ascertained by the old records of the proprietors of the town of Keene, that David Nims, the subject of this sketch-was chosen their scribe as early as July 25, 1737. The town of Keene having received a charter, he was elected first town clerk and town treasurer, at the first legal town
MARLBORO is a handsome post village, located in the northwestern part of the town. It has, aside from its many private residences, three churches, (Congregational, Universalist and Methodist) one hotel, two general stores, a hardware store, furniture store, shoe store, grocery, barber shop, confectionery store, a town hall, Odd Fellows hall, a foundry and machine
KEENE, as a city, was brought into existence by an act of the legislature, approved July 3, 1873, incorporating the same, subject to the acceptance, by a majority of votes, of the city charter so enacted. In March, 1874, the act was accepted by a vote of 783 to 589. The new government was duly
Hezekiah Munsell, who was at the battle of Bunker Hill, married Irene Byssell, and reared eleven children. Elisha, his seventh son, served in the war -of 1812, married twice, first, Polly Hurd, second, Lucy C. Sibley, and had born to him twelve children. Six are now living, and his widow resides in Keene.
Thomas H. Leaverett, son of Thomas, was born in Windsor, Vt., February 12, 1806, attended Captain Partridges Military school, and came to Keene in 1836. He married twice, first, Harriet B. Nelson, who bore him one daughter, Sarah D., who is the wife of Reuben A. Tuthid, and resides in Boston. He married for his
Godfrey Nims was the first one of the Nims family known in this country, the earliest record extant giving his marriage, in Northampton, Mass., November 28, 1677. His son Ebenezer removed to Deerfield, Mass., a short time previous to 1702, and at the destruction of that town, February 29th, 1703-04, he and Sarah Hoit were
Even at this early date, however, a spirited controversy was in progress between the provinces of Massachusetts and New Hampshire, relative to the position of the boundary line between them (see page 64). The final settlement of this mooted question by King George II., in 1740, left the new township far within the limits of
Rev. David Darling came to this town, from Wrentham, Mass., about 1785, was a Congregational minister, and settled upon the place where his son Daniel now resides, on road 6. He built the house now occupied by the latter, about a hundred years ago. He reared a family of sixteen children, and died in March.
Hon. Samuel W. Hale, son of Samuel and Saloma (Whitney) Hale, born in Fitchburg, Mass., April 2, 1823. In 1859 he came to Keene and began in a small way the manufacture of chairs, a business which, under skillful management, grew to large proportions. He has also been extensive engaged in other manufactures, and in
William P. Wheeler, son of Col. Nathaniel Wheeler, was born in Croyden, July 31, 1812. He was educated at Kimball Union academy, studied law at Keene, graduated at Harvard Law school, and was admitted to practice in 1842, settling in Keene. He received the degree of A. M. from Dartmouth college in 1850. For ten