This page provides a brief history of Spencer Academy and New Spencer Academy of Choctaw County, Oklahoma.
Doaksville, though no longer entitled to a place on the map, is the name of an important pioneer Indian village. Here the proud and powerful Choctaws established themselves during the later twenties, and were regarded as happy and prosperous before the Civil War.
Wheelock Academy for nearly four-score years was the most attractive social, educational and religious center in the southeast part of the Choctaw nation.
History of Mount Gilead Church, Lukfata, Oklahoma
History of St. Paul Church, Eagletown, Oklahoma
History of Beaver Dam Presbyterian Church, Grant, Oklahoma
History of New Hope Presbyterian Church At Frogville, Choctaw County, Oklahoma
The aim of the Author in preparing this volume has been to put in a form, convenient for preservation and future reference, a brief historical sketch of the work and workers connected with the founding and development of Oak Hill Industrial Academy, established for the benefit of the Freedmen of the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory, by the Presbyterian Church, U. S. A., in 1886, when Miss Eliza Hartford became the first white teacher, to the erection of Elliott Hall in 1910, and its dedication in 1912; when the name of the institution was changed to “The Alice Lee Elliott Memorial.”