Isaac Gibson, live stock and farming, was born in Clark County, Ind., December 8, 1814; came to Fairfield, Jefferson Co., Iowa, in 1851; kept a hotel, known as the Gibson House; also engaged in farming; in the spring of 1857, came to Tekamah; bought out a grocery, the only one in Tekamah. He had also
Hon. George P. Thomas, retired, is a native of Wyoming County, N. Y.; in the fall of 1856, came to Tekamah, bringing with him a steam saw-mill, which he located in the timber, two and a half miles east of this place. He operated it about one year, when it was destroyed by fire. He
Elisha McQuire, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Tekamah, is a native of Carroll County, Ohio; in 1851, came to Iowa City, Iowa; was engaged in driving stage; in about 1858, came to Omaha; also drove stage about two years; in 1860, came to this farm, which he entered. He now owns eighty-seven acres of land.
M. Olinger, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Tekamah, was born in Shenandoah County, Va., and raised in Montgomery County. In the fall of 1855, he came to Tekamah, there being then but six families in this county. He pre-empted and homesteaded 160 acres of land, which he has since improved. He now owns 332 acres,
A. N. Corbin, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Arizona, was born in Huntingdon County, Penn.; in the spring of 1856, came to Jefferson County, Iowa; in the fall of this year, he came to Burt County, Neb.; he pre-empted 160 acres, where he now resides. Owns now about 640 acres. About 200 acres of this
George Frank, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Herman, was born in Bavaria in 1849; came to Milwaukee, Wis.; worked at the cooper trade there about seventeen years; in 1867, came to Nebraska, locating on this land. He owns 205 acres, which is improved, with a good house and barn and a large number of trees.
R. A. Templeton, live stock, is a native of Fayette County, Ohio; in 1857, came to Fairfield, Iowa; there engaged in farming and stock-raising; in 1877, removed to Burt County, Neb. He, with Mr. Haywood, fed in 1877, their first season, 100 head of cattle. They are now feeding from 1,000 to 1,200 head. They
H. C. Lydick, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Arizona, was born in Knox County, Ohio; came with his parents, to Jefferson County, Iowa, in 1845. There he remained till 1857, when he came to Arizona Precinct. He made claim of 160 acres, where his house now stands. Since then he has added from time to
Hon. B. R. Folsom, retired, was born, February 23, 1809, in Fumbridge, Orange Co., N. Y. His parents soon after removed to Wyoming County, where he was raised; carried on farming, milling and merchandising about twenty-five years; September, 1854, came to Omaha, and, October, 1854, removed to Burt County, where he has since resided, and
J. R. Sutherland, contractor and builder, is a native of Woodstock, Can.; in 1866, came to St. Joseph, Mo., in 1868, came to Omaha; October 1869, came to Tekamah, and at once commenced this business. He is now the oldest contractor in Tekamah. He built the Odd Fellows’ building, school house, the Methodist and Presbyterian