Gilsum lies in the northern-central part of the county, in
lat. 43° 1' and long. 4° 50'. In outline it is similar to that of a
carpenter's square, bounded north by Alstead and
Marlow, east by Stoddard and Sullivan, south by Sullivan and
Keene, and west by Surry. It was originally granted,
under the name of Boyle, to Joseph Osgood and his associates, December 30,
1752. No settlements were made under this grant, through fear of the
Indians, until so late a date that the charter was forfeited.
This history entails tax records, sketches of early industry, churches, military, and benevolent societies, as well as biographies, genealogies and sketches of the early settlers.