In 1788 a number of the members of the first church became dissatisfied with their pastor, or pastors, withdrew from the society, and with others, organized the Second Congregational church, at East Alstead, with eighteen members, over whom Rev. Levi Lankton, of Southington, Conn., was installed, September z, r 7 89. He remained with the society about a third of a century, receiving into the church ninetythree members. The society now has sixty-seven members, a Sabbath-school with sixty-five members, and a church building capable of seating 250 persons, with Rev. George A. Beckwith, pastor.