- Access Genealogy - http://www.accessgenealogy.com -
The First Congregational Church of Alstead New Hampshire
Posted By Dennis Partridge On In New Hampshire | No Comments
The first baptism in town was administered in September, 1768, by Rev. Thomas Fessenden, of Walpole. In 1770 the town “chose nine men to conduct religious worship,” one of the number being appointed to procure a minister. Its 1773 a committee was chosen to select a site for building a house of worship, and the same year Rev. James Treadway was employed to supply the town with preaching, and was subsequently given a call to settle with them in the ministry, but declined because no church had been organized. In 1776 a vote was passed by the town to build a house of worship, yet it was not carried into, effect until 1781, when a wooden structure was built at what is now known as Alstead Center. The church was organized in 1777; but, owing to the loss of the early records, no details relative to its organization can be gathered. Those who expected to constitute the new society met in a barn, and the Rev. Mr. Fessenden. of Walpole, conducted services. The Lord’s supper was first administered to the church by Rev. Mr. Hall. of Keene. The same year a call was renewed to Mr. Treadway, but owing to a disagreement on the part of the members, he was not settled. In 1780 Dr. Payson, of Rindge, was employed as a candidate, and in June, 1781. Rev. Jacob Mann, was called. was ordained in February, 1782, and remained with the society until May, 1789. The society now has forty members, with Rev. George A. Beckwith, pastor. Their church building, a neat wood structure capable of seating z00 persons, built in 1882-83, is valued at $3,000.00.
Article printed from Access Genealogy: http://www.accessgenealogy.com
URL to article: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/new-hampshire/the-first-congregational-church-of-alstead-new-hampshire.htm
Copyright © 2013 Access Genealogy (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/). All rights reserved.