- Access Genealogy - http://www.accessgenealogy.com -
Posted By Dennis Partridge On In New Hampshire | No Comments
2. SAMUEL6 COMINGS (Samuel5, John4-3-2, Isaac1) eldest son of Samuel5 and Sarah (Spaulding) Comings, b. Nov. 18, 1742, in Westford, Mass.; m. first. Oct. 28. 1765, Sarah Butterfield, b. July 4, 1745, d. Aug. 31, 1804. There is nothing to show when he came to Cornish, as he remained away till all their children were born, the last being in 1789. He probably came soon after this, and lived with his father. They carried on their extensive farm, beside running the mill a large portion of the time. They also increased the capacity of the latter, and added a carding mill, carpenter shop, and tenement rooms. Thus the little settlement took on the appearance of substantial thrift and prosperity. The dense forests that then surrounded, and the waters that propelled the mill, rushing over a rocky precipice down into a densely wooded glen, presented scenery exceedingly grand and picturesque. Some of these attractions still remain, but the woodman’s ax has despoiled much of the primitive beauty of the surrounding forests, and the old time-honored mills, so useful in their day, have been destroyed by fire. Mr. Comings spent the remainder of his life in Cornish dying Jan. 17, 1826. After the death of his first wife, he m. second, Mrs. Lydia (Marsh) Pollard, and third, some years afterward, Mrs. Lucy Willard. There is no record of the date of marriage or death of these wives, except the date of his m. to Mrs. Pollard Jan. 25, 1805, in Croydon. Children, all by Sarah Butterfield:
i. ANDREW, 1st, b. in 1760; d. Oct. 1, 1775, aged 15.
ii. SALLY (or Sarah), b. July 7, 1766; m. Feb. 19, 17S6, Jonathan Morse. She d. Dec. 17, 1842.
5. iii. LEONARD, b. Dec. 6, 1769.
iv. BETTY (or Betsey), b. Feb. 23, 1772: m. Feb. 23, 1794, Rufus Day of Cornish. She had eight children (see Day); d. Aug. 9, 1825, aged 53.
6. v. ANDREW, b. Oct. 9. 1776.
7. vi. EBEN, b. June 24, 1779.
vii. CHARLOTTE, b. Dec. 15, 1782; m. Feb. 4, 1807, Caleb Burke. She d. Sept. 16, 1820.
viii. REBECCA, b. June 18, 1756: m. Nov. 23, 1809, Isaac French; d. Aug. 26. 1834.
ix. SOPHIA: b. April 9, 1759: m. Feb. 24, 1814, Amos Richardson of Cornish. She had eight children (see Richardson); d. Sept. 5, 1853, aged 64.
Article printed from Access Genealogy: http://www.accessgenealogy.com
URL to article: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/new-hampshire/samuel-comings-2.htm
Copyright © 2013 Access Genealogy (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/). All rights reserved.