WILLIAM FREEMAN COOPER is the fourth son of the late Dea. Sherman Cooper, of Croydon. On his father’s side he is descended from the Coopers and Shermans; and on his mother’s, from the Powerses and Lelands. His parents having a large family and but little property, his early life was one of toil. While living with them his means of education were small. At the age of eighteen he left the paternal roof and was thrown upon his own resources. After spending four years at the Newport Academy and in teaching school to improve the state of his finances, he, in 1824, commenced his professional studies with Dr. Elijah Cooper, of Newport. After completing the usual course of preparatory studies, and attending the lectures at the medical school at Bowdoin College, he graduated with honor from that institution, in 1826, receiving the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He returned immediately to Newport, where he commenced the practice of his profession, and remained there about a year. In 1827 he removed to Kelloggsville, in the town of Niles and County of Cayuga, N. Y. By the successful performance of a very difficult surgical operation he opened his way at once to professional fame. He has ever since been engaged in an extensive practice, in which he has amassed an ample fortune, notwithstanding his almost princely liberality. In 1850 he received an honorary degree from Laporte Medical College, Indiana.