Martin R. Brown was born February, 1868, at Fort Gibson, second son of John L. Brown and Anna E. Schrimsher, daughter of Martin Schrimsher, a white man, intermarried with the Cherokees, and very prominent in the nation. Martin attended neighborhood school until 1879, after which he went to the male seminary at Tahlequah, and attended it for four sessions. In 1881 he commenced teaching school at Garfield and Fort Gibson, where he was engaged two years. For some time he had been studying pharmacy, and in 1883 opened a drug store at Fort Gibson, which he soon sold out, and embarked in the cattle trade. About 1885 he was elected on the board of education and served three years. He also served two years as clerk of the Illinois district, after which he again entered the drug business at Tahlequah, where he is now located, and carries a $5,000 stock of goods. In the fall of 1891 he moved into a new brick building opposite the capitol, one of the finest buildings in town. In April 1887, Mr. Brown married Miss Nannie McNair, daughter of C. McNair and Rachel Mayes (sister of the present chief). By this marriage he has two children, Annie E. and Catherine. Mr. Brown has about 100 head of cattle, 25 head of stock horses, and real estate in Tahlequah valued at $2,000. In height he is about five feet ten inches and weighs 150 pounds. Mr. Brown is a gentleman of good address, affable and pleasant in manner and quite popular; he is connected with the oldest and best families in the Cherokee Nation.