- Access Genealogy - http://www.accessgenealogy.com -
Biography of Hugh Cardinal Crawford
Posted By Dennis Partridge On In Connecticut,Massachusetts,New York | No Comments
President, secretary and manager of the Springfield Tool Company, was born in Stafford, Connecticut, in 1893, the son of Herbert Merrill and Jennie (Cardinal) Crawford. The name of Crawford, represented in the United States and Canada by many men who have been conspicuous in almost every field of human endeavor, is of Scotch origin. wherever found, and although some of the immigrant ancestors of the name came to this country from the North of Ireland, and were of Scotch-Irish descent, the name was derived directly from Scotland.
(I) John Crawford was the immigrant ancestor of the branch of the family to which Hugh Cardinal Crawford belongs. He is likewise the ancestor of all the Crawfords who live in Union, Connecticut. Migrating from Scotland to the North of Ireland, he lived there until 1732, when he sailed from Belfast, Ireland, to Boston, Massachusetts, with his wife and four sons. At Sable Island a storm wrecked the vessel on which they were passengers, and Mrs. Crawford was among those who were drowned.
(II) Hugh Crawford, son of John Crawford, was nineteen when he arrived in America with the family. He settled in Newton, Massachusetts, and continued to live there until he settled in Union, Connecticut, in 1740, and bought land at his new home. He was a weaver by trade, and on record in 1743 as the owner of extensive lands. He was also a soldier in the Revolutionary War. While the hostile operations were in progress in the summer of 1776 in and around New York City, Samuel Crawford, a son of Hugh Crawford, became ill with camp fever.. His brother, John, journeyed to camp and brought him home, caring for the stricken youth, with the assistance of his father, until he had recovered entirely. But they both contracted the fever and died on the same day, October 13, 1776. Hugh Crawford married Margaret Campbell, who came from England in 1731, and died August 8, 1808. They were the parents of Elizabeth, Sarah, Samuel, and John.
(III) Deacon Samuel Crawford, son of Hugh and Margaret (Campbell) Crawford, was born in Union, Connecticut, July 22, 1748, and died May 1, 1824. He was educated in the public schools of his native town. On the outbreak of the War of the. Revolution, he enlisted and took part in many important engagements. He married, in 1771, and his wife died in 1793, leaving ten children.
(IV) John Crawford, second son and fourth child of Samuel Crawford, was born April 17, 1777. He married, April 24, 1800, Susannah Hayward, daughter of Jonathan Hayward.
(V) Trenck Crawford, eldest son of John and Susannah (Hayward) Crawford, was born February 23, 1801. He married (first), January 1, 1829, Zida Webber, daughter of Bradley Webber, who died April 26, 1866. He married (second) Julia Chaffir. His children were: Ossian Trenck; William Merrill, of further mention; Liberty Webber; Susan Zida; and Susan Emily.
(VI) William Merrill Crawford, son of Trenck and Zida (Webber) Crawford, was born July 31, 1831. After attending the public schools of his native district, he learned the trade of carpenter and lived for a time in Southbridge. He removed to Stafford Springs, where he was the proprietor of a sash and blind factory. At a later period he engaged in the hardware business as traveling salesman, a pursuit he followed until well along in years. He died at Stafford Springs at the age of seventy-eight. He married, October 9, 1854, Jeannette Almida Potter, daughter of David Potter, of Union, Connecticut. Their children were: Lillian Potter; Herbert Merrill, of further mention; and William Liberty.
(VII) Herbert Merrill Crawford, son of William Merrill and Jeannette Almida (Potter) Crawford, was born at Stafford Springs, in 1864, and died at fortytwo years in 1906. He attended the public schools, and after completing the high school course he assisted his father in the manufacture of flavoring extracts. He went to Chicago, Illinois, where he was engaged in the wholesale fish business, but after gaining experience in that line he returned to Stafford Springs and again became associated with his father in business, the manufacture and sale of Crawford extracts. He was an active man to the time of his death; a good citizen and highly esteemed by numerous friends and associates. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and a member of the Congregational Church of Stafford Springs. His wife, Jennie (Cardinal) Crawford, of Plattsburg, New York, died in 1899. Their children were: George, and Hugh Cardinal, of further mention.
(VIII) Hugh Cardinal Crawford, son of Herbert Merrill and Jennie (Cardinal) Crawford, received his early education in the public schools of Stafford Springs and Springfield, and entered the Bay Path Business College, in Springfield, where he continued his studies during 1912. He joined the Hart Manufacturing Company of Hartford, Connecticut, where he remained for a time, after which he passed two years in travel, crossing to the Pacific Coast. He came to Springfield in 1913 and entered the employ of the Ludlow Manufacturing Association in the efficiency department. This connection he maintained until his removal to Auburn, New York, where he was connected with the Columbia Rope Company. In 1917, when the country entered the World War, Mr. Crawford enlisted in the United States Navy and was sent to Pelham Bay, New York, to serve as instructor in the naval training station there, in which capacity he served for fourteen months. He was finally sent on foreign service. After the war he associated himself with the Marlin Rockwell Company, of New York, remaining with that concern until 1919. In that year he was made secretary, assistant treasurer and manager of the Springfield Tool Company. In August, 1922, he ceased to be assistant treasurer and became president, holding the offices of secretary and manager. The company manufactures tools for carpenters and wood workers. Its beautiful plant, equipped with the most modern machinery and implements, stands on Paige Boulevard, East Springfield. Under the able and vigorous management of Mr. Crawford the company is steadily enlarging and adding constantly to its large business. Mr. Crawford is a Republican in political sympathies. He is a member of the Springfield Chamber of Commerce, and the Presbyterian Church.
Mr. Crawford married, in September, 1918, Caroline W. Willis, of Springfield, daughter of Charles W. and Mary (Fuller) Willis, and granddaughter of Earl Swift and Harriet (Ward) Willis. Mr. and Mrs. Crawford are the parents of three children: Hugh Cardinal, Jr., born January 11, 1920; Janet Fuller, born September 14, 1921; and Elizabeth Marie, born November 20, 1923.
Article printed from Access Genealogy: http://www.accessgenealogy.com
URL to article: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/massachusetts/biography-of-hugh-cardinal-crawford.htm
Copyright © 2013 Access Genealogy (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/). All rights reserved.