Levi Parker, from Lyman, N. H., came to Wolcott in June, 1821, and purchased fifty acres of land on road i 1, where E. P. Dexter now resides. Here Mr. Parker resided until his death, in 1862, aged seventy-two years.
Merrill Andrus, from Orange county, Vt., came to Wolcott in 1839, and located on road 13, where his son, T. O. Andrus, now resides. He married Maria Lawrence, by whom he had eight children, three of whom, T. O. Andrus, Mrs. R. F. Parker, and Mrs. Eli Drury, are living. Mr. Andrus died in August,
Leonard Thompson, born in 1812, came to Wolcott from Tunbridge, Vt., about forty-five years ago, and located on road 22. In February, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 8th Regt. Vt. Vols., was taken prisoner, and died at New Orleans in June, 1863.
Beverly Titus, a native of Tunbridge, Vt., came to Wolcott from Vershire, Vt., in 1832, and located upon the farm now owned by C. G. Moulton, on road 26. Mr. Titus reared a family of twelve children, several of whom are living, viz.: William C., in Oakland, Cal. , John H., and Mrs. Celia Titus
Thomas Davis, a Connecticut sea captain, came to Wolcott at an early date, and purchased fifty-five acres of land on road 24, which is now owned by his grandson, Pardon Davis. A year or two after his settlement Mr. Davis erected a house of planks, the outside being lathed and plastered, the walls being decorated
Calvin Holton, a native of Chester, Vt., born March 3, 1809, came to Wolcott in November, 1831, and located upon the farm now owned by John Wells, near road 16. Here Mr. Holton erected a log house on his 100 acre farm, for which he had paid $200.00, there being then no wagon road within
Perley Hutchins, Sr., a native of Massachusetts, came to Wolcott about the year 1813, where he resided until his death. His son, Perley, Jr., served in the war of 1812, and in 1815, married Polly Whitney, daughter of Hezekiah Whitney, one of the early settlers. Mrs. Whitney still resides here with her son, in the
Rufus Bruce, a native of Chester, Vt., and son of Rev. Rufus Bruce, came to Wolcott on horseback during the summer of 1831, and bought 100 acres of land on road 22 corner 17. paying therefor $200.00. He then hired a man to slash five acres of the heavy timbered land, and returned to Chester,
Barnabas Peck came to Wolcott in 1811, and located upon the farm now owned by C. C. Twiss. The first saw and grist-mill built in the town then stood on this farm. Mr. Peck reared a family of eleven children, and died in 1832, aged seventy-three years. Jera Peck now occupies the old homestead, aged
Jesse Davenport, born in Salem, Mass., March 25, 1797, came to Wolcott from Berlin, Vt., in 1832, and located on road 11, where he resided until his death, October 9, 1880. Mr. Davenport held many of the town trusts, and enjoyed the respect and confidence of his townsmen to a remarkable degree.