Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biographical Sketch of Capt. John Hamilton

Capt. John Hamilton, acting under orders from Gen. Zachary Taylor, founded Fort Scott, Kansas, in 1842. He was a native of Pennsylvania, a soldier in the regular army, and first came to Kansas as a youth of nineteen and a United States dragoon, stationed at Fort Leavenworth. In 1842, as a sergeant of the First Dragoons, under Capt. Benjamin D. Moore, he left Fort Wayne, Cherokee Nation, to assist in selecting a site and to establish a military post in Kansas. There wore twenty men in the party and, after selecting the ground, the captain and surgeon of the expedition, detailed directly under Sergeant Hamilton, returned to Fort Wayne, leaving the execution of the work to the latter. Sergeant Hamilton himself cut the first tree on the site of Fort Scott on the 9th of April, 1842, an additional working force was sent in the following month, and in June Captain Moore, with two companies of the First Dragoons, arrived to take command of the post. Maj. William M. Graham and Capt. Thomas Swords were afterwards placed in command, Hamilton being quartermaster sergeant under the latter. He was then appointed ordnance sergeant by the secretary of war and ordered to Fort Jessup, Louisiana. After serving his term of enlistment in the army Sergeant Hamilton returned to Fort Scott in March, 1855, and became a permaneut resident of that place. During the border troubles he was made captain of the first company of militia, which was organized in January, 1859, and experienced considerable rough service. In 1865 Captain Hamilton moved to Sheridan Township, Crawford County, and was elected from that...

Biography of Frost, D.M.

D. M. Frost, editor and proprietor of Ford County Globe, published at Dodge City, Kansas, established December 25, 1887. The paper is largely devoted to the livestock interests of the West, and the official organ of the Western Kansas Stock-Growers’ Association. Circulates largely among stockmen, and has a circulation of 700 copies per week. Mr. Frost first located in the State in 1868, at Sheridan, then the terminus of the Kansas Pacific Railway, where he held a clerkship in a general mercantile establishment, but only for a brief period, and early in the spring of 1879 he emigrated to New Mexico and entered the Morino mines near Elizabethtown, where he was engaged in mining, returning to Sheridan, Kansas, in the fall of the same year, re-engaged in mercantile pursuits. In the spring of 1870 he followed the construction of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, and finally located at Kit Carson, Col., which was left the terminus of the railroad for another year. Here he was made deputy postmaster under Major J. A. Soword, and in connection with his official duties taught a six months’ term of school, having won the enviable reputation of being the pioneer schoolmaster on the Plains, or the first to teach a public school on the Great American Desert. After the close of the school he became a partner in the mercantile house of J. A. Soword, and the new firm was known as D. M. Frost & Company, where he remained successfully in business until the great Carson conflagration, in which he stood a loss of all his property he had here made and accumulated....

Pin It on Pinterest