Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Stone, Genevieve R. – Obituary

La Grande, Union County, Oregon Mrs. Karl R. (Genevieve) Stone of 1703 Cedar, died Monday at Grande Ronde Hospital. Mrs. Stone was born in Brier Hill, N.Y.; the daughter of William H. and Amanda Jane (Guernsey) Rogers. She taught music in a Watertown, N.Y., elementary school before she married Karl R. Stone on Aug. 27, 1919, in Watertown. The Stones moved to Oregon in 1920, and in 1943 came to La Grande from the Willamette Valley. They were owners of the Stone Cream Station for 20 years. Mrs. Stone taught school for two years in Reedsport, and was choir director at the Klamath Falls Presbyterian Church for several years. She was a member of the La Grande Presbyterian Church, an ordained deacon, and a member of U.P.W. Besides her husband Karl in La Grande, Mrs. Stone is survived by a daughter, Charlotte Rankin of Island City; sons, David of Long Island, N.Y., and Roger of Eugene; eight grandchildren and other relatives. Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Presbyterian Church with Rev. Barry Heath officiating. Vault interment will follow at the Hillcrest Cemetery. Those who wish may make contributions in memory of Mrs. Stone to the Cancer Research Fund or the Presbyterian Church Memorial Fund in care of Daniels Valley Funeral Chapel.” La Grande Observer, 5/25/76 Contributed by: Marilynn...

Stone, Karl R. – Obituary

Karl Roy Stone, a well-known La Grande businessman and longtime head of the Union County Planning Commission, died Saturday at Grande Ronde Hospital. He was 89. Mr. Stone, of 1703 Cedar St., was born on Sept. 15, 1895, in Sterling, Kan., to Robert and Amalia “Mollie” Birk. He served with the U.S. Army during World War I, and was corporal of the honor guards at the funeral of Buffalo Bill Cody at Pike’s Peak, Colo. He married Genevieve Rogers at Watertown, N.Y., on Aug. 27, 1919. The couple homesteaded near Reedsport in 1920, and Mr. Stone owned and operated the Reedsport Creamery from 1921 to 1926. He was in the creamery business in Klamath Falls, Eugene, Springfield and Portland from 1926 until 1945, when the couple moved to La Grande. Mr. Stone owned and operated Stone’s Cream Station from 1945 to 1960, and served as Union County fruit fly inspector from 1960 to 1965. He served as administrator for the Union County Planning Commission from December 1965 until June 1976. Mr. Stone was a member and deacon emeritus of the First United Presbyterian Church of La Grande. He was a member of the La Grande Lodge No. 41 A.F. & A.M., Baker Consistory Scottish Rite; Union Council No. 5 Royal and Select Masons, La Grande Chapter 9 Royal Arch Masons; Eastern Oregon Commandary No. 6 Knight Templar, Al Kader Temple, Union County Shrine Club, and Hope Chapter No. 13 Order of Eastern Star. He also was a member of the La Grande Elks Lodge No. 433, Farmer Merchant Association, Chamber of Commerce, American Legion, National Rifle Association, Izaak Walton...

Pin It on Pinterest