Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Descendancts of John Remington of Haverhill, MA

As early as 1661 John Remington and his wife Abigail were at Haverhill, where their children, Daniel and Hannah, were born. John Remington is credited by one writer as being the emigrant ancestor from Wales of the Rhode Island Remingtons. He appears of record as early as 1669 at Jamestown, R. I., where Aug. 28th of that year he and two others were ordered to assemble inhabitants of Conanicut Island to consider what might be most suitable for defense and preservation against any invasion or insurrection of the Indians. He had been earlier at Haverhill, Mass. (1661), and Andover. He was one of the grantees in 1677 of what became East Greenwich, R. I. He and his sons were taxed in 1680. In 1695 he gave his son Thomas Remington, of Warwick, a deed for his Haverhill interests, and redeeded to him the same in 1709, he then being apparently of Warwick, R. I., the former deed having become “damnified through disaster.”

Biographical Sketch of Willard Grant Aborn

Aborn, Willard Grant; manufacturer; born Wakefield, Mass., Sept. 23, 1870; son of George W. and Mary Frances Pennel Aborn; educated Wakefield High School; Academy at Monson, Mass.; graduated from Dartmouth College in 1893, degree of A. B., and A. M. in 1896; married, Chicago, Ill., Sept. 23, 1896, Miss Florence Louise Higgins; issue, one daughter Mary Louise and one son John Russell; spent summer vacations during college education working at engineering on water work construction; spent two yrs. in that line of work after graduation; in summer of 1895 worked for Spaulding-Pepper Tire Co., of Chicopee Falls, Mass., 1896, sec’y for J. C. Pearson, Boston, mfg. cement coated nails; in 1896 be-came supt. of the factory; has worked up in the business, pres. the Lake Erie Nail & Supply Co., of Cleveland; The Grant Nail & Supply Co., of Boston, and the United States Timber Co., of Cleveland; member Chamber of Commerce and Builders Exchange; in Masonry has taken the degrees of Salem Commander K. T. and Al Koran Temple of the Mystic Shrine; member Hermit, Euclid, and Athletic Clubs, Cleveland; University Club, Boston; vice pres. The Dartmouth Club of Northern Ohio; Trustee Tucker Fund of Dartmouth College; member National Geographical...

Biography of Joseph Reed Burgess

JOSEPH REED BURGESS. Superintendent of schools of Monson, is one of the best known educators of Hampden County and Western Massachusetts. A man of wide education and excellent knowledge of his profession, he has held innumerable responsible and important pedagogical positions in the county, the State, and in Maine, and he is now one of the most highly esteemed members of the teaching profession. He is an active citizen and club and fraternal man of the town and county and is generally recognized as a leader of the pedagogical fraternity. Joseph Reed Burgess was born in Rockland, May 21, 1893, the son of Horatio B. Burgess, a sole leather buyer, who successively held the posts of chief of fire department and chief of police department in Rockland, and Georgianna Burgess. Joseph Reed Burgess was educated in the public schools of his native town, in the Rockland High School and he took his pedagogical studies in the Bridgewater Normal School, going through all the courses, including the advanced normal subjects. He completed his education in Harvard University. He had been teaching school but a short time when he was appointed principal of the Eastham Grammar School at Eastham, where he remained several years. He then became principal of the Longfellow and Emerson schools at Sanford, Maine, after which he was principal of the Sawyer School, in Gloucester. Massachusetts. His next position was that of assistant superintendent of schools of the Agawam and Ludlow districts, of Hampden County, and soon after he resigned to become superintendent of schools of Monson, Hampden County. Mr. Burgess is a member of the John Cutler...

Biography of Edward Anthony Kennedy

EDWARD ANTHONY KENNEDY, oculist and aurist, of Hillcrest Hospital, Pittsfield, Massachusetts, was born January 17, 1880, at Fairfield, Vermont, son of Thomas B. and Katherine (Horrigan) Kennedy. His father served through the Civil War and was severely wounded in one of the later battles. For many years he was active in the circles of the Grand Army of the Republic. Edward Anthony Kennedy was educated in the public schools of St. Albans, Vermont, and the Medical School of the University of Vermont, whence he was graduated in the class of 1905 with the degree of M. D. He then entered the Massachusetts State Hospital at Monson, where, for five years, he was house physician, at the same time doing post-graduate work along medical lines. In 1910 Dr. Kennedy began the practice of medicine and surgery at Great Barrington. While there he continued his studies and to do hospital work until he gradually developed his practice as a specialist on the eye, ear, nose and throat exclusively. He was active in the civic affairs of Great Barrington. He was a member of the school committee and medical examiner for the Metropolitan, Postal and Prudential life insurance companies. During the World War he was chairman of Medical Advisory Board No. 3. Dr. Kennedy moved, in 1923, to Pittsfield. While in Great Barrington he was a member of the staff of Fairview Hospital, and is now a member of the staff of Hillcrest Hospital, Pittsfield, as oculist and aurist. Dr. and Mrs. Kennedy are seventh degree members of the National Grange, and are active in the social affairs of that organization. Dr....

Biography of Rev. Cushing Eels, D. D.

REV. CUSHING EELS, D.D. – Dr. Eells was born at Blandford, Massachusetts, February 16, 1810, and was the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Warner) Eells. He was descended from Samuel Eells, who was a major in Cromwell’s army, and who came to America in 1661. Cushing Eells was brought up at Blandford, became a Christian when fifteen years old, prepared for college at Monson Academy, Massachusetts, entered Williams College in 1830, and graduated four years later. The distance from his home to college was forty-five miles. Twice he rode the entire distance, – when he entered and after he graduated, – twice from one-half to two-thirds of the way; and the rest of the trips he walked too poor to pay his way. Three years later he graduated from East Windsor Theological Seminary, of Connecticut (now at Hartford), and was ordained at Blandford, Massachusetts, October 25, 1837, as a Congregational minister. While teaching school at Holden, Massachusetts, he became acquainted with Miss Myra Fairbank, to whom he was afterwards married. She was the daughter of Dea. Joshua, and Mrs. Sally Fairbank, and was born at Holden, Massachusetts, May 26, 1805. It is said that both on her father’s and mother’s sides she was pure Yankee. She made a profession of religion when thirteen years old, and at the celebration of her seventieth birthday said that she had never been sorry that she had begun to serve the Savior when so young. When Doctor Eels first offered himself as a missionary to the American board of commissioners for foreign missions, he was appointed to the Zulu mission of Africa. Afterwards,...

Pin It on Pinterest