Levi Gates came to Marlboro with his father, from Massachusetts, about the year 1805, locating in the southern part of the town. He died about 1860, aged sixty-nine years. His son, Winslow L., is still a resident of the town.
The Methodist Episcopal church, located at the village, was organized by its first pastor, Rev. Thomas L. Fowler, with sixty members, in 1859. Their church building will seat 250 persons, cost $1,300.00, and is now valued, including grounds, etc., at $3,000.00. The society now has ninety-eight members, with Rev. C. W. Dockrill, pastor. The church
Isaac McAlister, born September 25, 1736, married Hannah, daughter of William and Keziah (Cloyes) Goddard, born January 27, 1736. He was one of the proprietors of Monadnock No. 5, and as such he took an active part in the affairs of the town; and it is said that he rendered assistance in the surey of
Elijah Gates was born in Stowe, Mass., in 1765, came to Marlboro in 180o, settled where his son Elijah how resides, and died here in 1824. The latter was born here June 17, 1801, in the house he still occupies.
The First Universalist church of Marlboro, located at the village, was organized by Rev. J. V. Wilson, with forty members, in October, 1835, Rev. Edwin Davis being the first resident pastor. Their church building, a wood structure erected in 1850, will seat 250 persons, cost $2,000.00, and is valued at $5,000.00, The society has fifty
Rev. Sullivan H. McCollester, son of Silas and grandson of Isaac, was born in this town December 18, 1826, and is now a resident of Dover, N. ii, though he still owns a part of the ancestral estate, He is a graduate of the Cambridge Divinity school, and was given the degree of D. D.,
Jedediah Putney, a native of Charlton, Mass., located in Fitzwilliam about eighty years ago, and from there came to Marlboro, where he died in 1866, aged eighty-one years. His son Moses, born in Fitzwilliam, came to Marlboro in 1864, but returned about seven years ago.
As early in the Revolutionary contest as 1775, at least six of Marlboro’s scanty population joined the continental army, viz.: Moses Tucker, Timothy Rogers, Robert Worsley, Daniel Collins, Lieutenant James Brewer and Pearson Newell. In a report made by the selectmen on the 3d of October of that year, however, the number is given at
Clark Mason was born here April 16, 1794, removed to Oswego county, N. Y., in 1817, remained until 1824, then came back to Marlboro, and diedk here in August, 1861. 1. His grandson, Warren W., son of William C., is superintendent of Hale’s chair factory, at South Keene.
The Trinitarian Congregational church, located at Marlboro, was organized by a council convened for the purpose, with eight members, in 1778. The first pastor was Rev. Joseph Cummings. The first church building stood near what is now called Meeting -house pond, and was raised November 21, 1990, though it was not completed until 1774. The