James Bemis, from Weston, Mass., settled in Dublin in 1793, where he died December 15, 1832, aged seventy-five years. He married first Hannah Frost, of Marlboro, by whom he had one son, Jonathan. He next married Lois Walker, of Sudbury. Mass., in 1786. His children were Hannah, James, Lois, Thomas, Josiah, Betsey, Eli and Mercy.
Milan Harris, son of Bethual, was born January 29, 1799. He it was who did so much for the town of Harrisville, giving it its name, serving it as its first representative, etc. He received only a common school education, and before he was twenty-one he worked alternately on the farm and in the custom-shop,
Samuel D. Bemis, son of Thomas, was born February 8, 1833, He has been engaged in farming, and has held the office of selectman, being chairman of the board from 1872 to 1884. He was a member of the state legislature in 1872, and a delegate to the constitutional convention in 1876.
William Yardly came to the northern part of Dublin, which is now a part of Harrisville, from England, in 1776, and located on the farm now owned by his grandson, George. He was a farmer, married Sarah Twitchell, and reared a family of six children. He died in June, 1805. His son William was born
George Davis was born in Hancock, N. H., in 1816. He learned the carpenter’s trade, which he carried on a few years, was captain of militia there in 1842 and 1843, and owner of a grist-mill, which he operated several years. He married Julia A., daughter 0f Asa Greenwood, of Dublin, in 1840, and moved
Major Abner S. H. Hutchinson was born in Wilton, N. H., December 10, 1803. He joined the militia when a young man, and rose to the rank of major in the 12th N. H. Regt., and was captain of the Nelson Rifle Company. He married Mary, daughter of Bethuel Harris, who bore him five children,
Erastus Harris, from Medway, Mass., located in the southeastern part of Nelson, (now in Harrisville), at an early date. He was a carpenter, owned a large farm, and died in 1798, aged eighty-four years. His son, Bethuel, born in 1769, came on about 16 years later, and located at the village. His house was located
William Seaver came from Roxbury. Mass., and settled upon a farm in the southern part of Nelson in 1823, and died in 1867. He reared a family of seven children, four of whom, Charles C., Wellington W., George W., and Mrs. Lucy H. Towne, are living, all located in this town.
C. & H Farwell’s saw-mill and clothes pin factory, located on road 24, corner of 21, was established by them in 1871. They employ twelve men, and manufacture about l00,000 feet of coarse lumber, and about 15,000 boxes of 720 clothes-pins each, per year. S. T Symonds & Son’s pail handle and knife tray factory,
Joseph Mason was born in Shelborn, Mass., in 1748, reared a family of ten children, and was killed by the fall of a tree, in 1806. His son Samuel, who was known as Captain Mason, was born in 1771, reared a family of twelve children, and died in 1822. His son Merrill was born in