Hezekiah Stone came from Massachusetts about 1780, and bought the land where Benjamin Whitcomb now lives. He was a farmer, owned a saw-mill, and had two sons and three daughters. The eldest, Artemas, had a son, Artemas, who was the father of Stillman S. Stone. Moses, second son of Hezekiah, was born in Fitzwilliam, December
The First Congregational church – The Unitarian denomination has a society under this name at Fitzwilliam village, holding meetings about three months during the summer season, in the town hall. They have no regular pastor.
Josiah Carter came from Lancaster, Mass., in 1803, being at that time sixteen years of age. His father, Joseph, was a shoemaker and he was brought up to the trade, which he carried on until 1818. He then bought a farm and devoted his after life to that. He was a lieutenant in the artillery.
Barzaliel Baker came to Marlboro from Westminster, Mass., about 1800. He was a farmer and settled upon the farm now occupied by Howard Clark, where he died, at the age of eighty-two. His son Asa was born in Marlboro, where lived until 1833, when he moved, to Jaffrey, where he remained until his death, in
The First Baptist church, located at Fitzwilliam, was organized in 1815, with six or eight members, by Rev. Nathaniel Bowes, of Richmond, Rev. Arnot Allen being the first pastor. The church building, erected in 1842, will seat 250 persons, cost $1,800.00, and is valued, including grounds, etc., at $5,000.00. The society now has sixty-two members,
Dr. Silas Cummings, son of Thaddeus, was born in Fitzwilliam, October 7, 1803. He studied medicine and received his diploma from Dartmouth college. He began practice in this town about 1826 or 1827, where he continued until his death, June 30, 1882. He was superintendent of schools for many years, and as such labored hard
Dr. Aaron R. Gleason, was born, June 1, 1835, in Warren, Vt., where he lived until twelve years of age, when his father, Windsor, moved to Acworth, N. H. He attended school and fitted for college at Westminster, Vt., and taught for two years, more or less, in the public schools. He studied medicine with
Edward C. Reed, son of Phinehas, was born here, March 8, 1793, and graduated from Dartmouth college, in 1812. He studied law in Troy, N. Y. and settled in Homer, N. Y., in 1816. He was admitted to practice in one court after another, until 1830, when be was admitted to the court of chancery.
The Methodist Episcopal church, organized by Rev. W. Merrill, the present pastor, in 1867, has two branches, one at Howeville, and one at the Depot Their first church building was erected at Howeville, and the one at the Depot in 1878. It will seat 150 persons, cost $1,000.00 and is now valued, including grounds, etc.,
Abijah Richardson, who was born in this town, moved to Royalston, Mass., where he died in 1840. His son, Leander, born in Royalston, Mass., came here in 1860, has been deputy sheriff three years and is now a policeman.