Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biographical Sketch of G. W. Ifer

One of the representative citizens of Delaware is G. W. Ifer, farm manager of the Sanders Oil Company and owner of two of the most modern business blocks in town. He was born in Wells County, Indiana, on the 6th of November, 1868, and came to Oklahoma in the year that this state was admitted to the union. For six months he resided at Keefer and then spent a like period in the oil fields at Jenks. Subsequently he became farm manager of the Sanders Oil Company at Delaware and with the exception of one year he has since been in charge of all their oil property in the vicinity of Delaware. Mr. Ifer owns considerable well improved business property in Delaware, having demonstrated his faith in the growth of this community by building a fine garage and modern drug store, the latter being operated by his son-in-law, George Chambers. One of the main reasons for the erection of the drug store building was to give the second floor over to the Masonic lodge for its meetings, etc. Mr. Ifer is an exemplary member of that craft, belonging to Delaware Lodge, No. 477. He has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite and is likewise a member of the Mystic Shrine. Mr. Ifer married Miss Arlie Dawley and they became parents of a daughter, Minnie F. She married George E. Chambers, and they have two children: George W. and Peggy L. Mrs. Ifer has passed away. Mr. Ifer is one of the most public-spirited citizens of Delaware and is never too busy to devote a portion of his...

Biography of W. S. Moore

A notably successful career is that of W. S. Moore, a prominent stockman of Dewey, who has devoted practically all of his life to the cattle business, in which he has become recognized as a leading operator, not only in Oklahoma but through the United States. He was born in Putnam county, Illinois, December 6, 1865, being a son of Mr. and, Mrs. J. B. Moore, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively. He was reared in Burlington, Iowa, and in 1884, when a young man of nineteen years, he accompanied his parents on their removal to Oklahoma. His family settled on a farm on Wolf creek, near Menapah, where for twenty years they continued to make their home, the father passing away on that place. Subsequently the mother removed to the Cherokee strip, taking up a claim near Alva, and for seven years. She lived on that property, disposing of it in order to establish her residence in Coffeyville, Kansas. She later returned to Alva, Oklahoma, and there her demise occurred in 1906, her remains being interred at Coffeyville, beside those of her husband. As a young man W. S. Moore was employed by J. S. Todd, who was one of the largest stockmen in Oklahoma, his ranch being situated in the Creek country, south of Muskogee. He remained with Mr. Todd for fourteen years, during which period he acquired a comprehensive knowledge of the business, and he then embarked in cattle raising on his own account, but at the end of three years formed a partnership with Mr. Todd a relationship which still exists. While conducting...

Biography of S. J. Miller

Among the substantial residents of Rogers county are Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Miller, who are residing on their farm seven and one-half miles northwest of Chelsea. Mr. Miller is a native of Missouri, his birth having occurred at Butler, Bates county, on the 4th of June, 1884. His parents were John M. and Rachael (North) Miller, natives of Ohio. In 1866 they moved to Missouri and locating in Bates county, the father farmed until his demise in 1919. He was one of the well known agriculturists in that county and a representative and progressive citizen who did much toward public development and improvement. His widow is living in Butler, Missouri. In the acquirement of an education S. J. Miller attended the schools of his native county and in due time put his textbooks aside and engaged in the oil business. In 1914 he came to Oklahoma and locating at Delaware, Nowata county, he engaged in the conduct of an oil business until 1921. He achieved more than substantial success in that connection. In 1921 he moved onto his present farm which is the property of his wife, her mother having willed it to her. This farm is located seven and one-half miles northwest of Chelsea in Rogers county and consists of seventy-six and a quarter acres of valuable land, highly cultivated. The farm boasts of a modern home and splendid outbuildings and everything is kept in the best state of repair. Here Mr. Miller is engaged in general farming and in raising Poland China and Duroc hogs and black Jersey cows. On the 23d of October, 1917, was...

Biography of S. J. Miller

Among the substantial residents of Rogers county are Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Miller, who are residing on their farm seven and one-half miles northwest of Chelsea. Mr. Miller is a native of Missouri, his birth having occurred at Butler, Bates County, on the 4th of June, 1884. His parents were John M. and Rachael (North) Miller, natives of Ohio. In 1866 they moved to Missouri and locating in Bates County, the father farmed until his demise in 1919. He was one of the well known agriculturists in that county and a representative and progressive citizen who did much toward public development and improvement. His widow is living in Butler, Missouri. In the acquirement of an education S. J. Miller attended the schools of his native county and in due time put his textbooks aside and engaged in the oil business. In 1914 he came to Oklahoma and locating at Delaware, Nowata County, he engaged in the conduct of an oil business until 1921. He achieved more than substantial success in that connection. In 1921 he moved onto his present farm which is the property of his wife, her mother having willed it to her. This farm is located seven and one-half miles northwest of Chelsea in Rogers County and consists of seventy-six and a quarter acres of valuable land, highly cultivated. The farm boasts of a modern home and splendid outbuildings and every-thing is kept in the best state of repair. Here Mr. Miller is engaged in general farming and in raising Poland China and Duroc hogs and black Jersey cows. On the 23d of October, 1917, was...

Biography of Isaac H. Secondine

A prominent citizen of Delaware is Isaac H. Secondine, who is engaged in the decorating business. A native of Nowata County, he was born at Coodys Bluff on the 29th of May, 1874, a son of Fillmore and Rachael (Connor) Secondine. His paternal grand-father, James, was chief of the Delawares in the ’40s and crossed the plains with General Fremont on that memorable trip chronicled in history, and also fought under him in the Mexican war. Grandfather Secondine was a highly educated man, speaking seven different languages, among them perfect English. He acted as interpreter to General Fremont, who was his intimate friend, and he was also a personal friend of Abraham Lincoln. His son Fillmore is still living, being now over seventy-eight years of age. Fillmore Secondine was united in marriage to Rachael Connor, a Delaware and a native of Indian Territory. Her demise occurred when Isaac H. was five years of age. Mrs. Mary C. Bezion, extended mention of whom is made in a sketch appearing on another page of this work, is a sister of Fillmore H., and she is one of the pioneer citizens of this County. In the acquirement of an education Isaac H. Secondine attended the public schools of Coodys Bluff and after putting his textbooks aside he engaged in farming, until 1919. In that year he rented his farm of sixty acres, two and one-half miles southwest of Delaware and moved into town, where he is now engaged in decorating. Mr. Secondine has oil on his farm, from which he draws royalties. He has a fine modern home here and is enjoying...

Biography of M. B. Scott, M. D.

Since 1908 Dr. M. B. Scott has been practicing in Delaware and has won an enviable position among the medical men of Nowata County. A native of Muskogee County, Indian Territory, he was born on the 9th of August, 1879, a son of F. M. and Mary (McClain) Scott. The father was born in Tennessee and removed from his native state to Indian Territory in 1850. Locating in the Canadian district, he engaged in farming and stock raising, and achieved more than gratifying success in that connection. His demise occurred in 1896. His wife was a native of Oklahoma and a sister of Judge William McClain of Muskogee. She died in 1908. In the acquirement of his early education M. B. Scott attended the common schools of his native County, later becoming a student in the Male Seminary at Tahlequah. Determining to enter the medical profession, he then enrolled in the College of Physicians & Surgeons at Dallas, Texas, and was graduated from that institution in 1906, with the M. D. degree. The following year he took up the practice of his profession in Webbers Falls and in 1908 came to Delaware, where he has remained, having built up an extensive and lucrative practice. Dr. Scott has remained a constant student of his profession and he is a close and accurate observer. The ability he has shown in his practice and the interest he has taken in his patients have been productive of a gratifying degree of success and he ranks today as one of the most prominent physicians and surgeons in this part of the state. In 1900...

Pin It on Pinterest