Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Capt. David Abeel
Capt. David Abeel, son of Johannes and Catharine (Schuyler) Abeel (brother to Christoffel, the father of John, father of Corn Plant), was born at Albany, N. Y., April 27, 1705, died Oct. 20, 1777.
At an early age, after his father’s death, he was sent to New York and apprenticed to Mr. Schuyler in the dry goods business, and soon after reaching his majority he engaged in the flour and provision business, which he carried on successfully for many years. He held the position of Captain of the company of militia of foot of the city and county of New York, for many years until 1772. His commission was signed by Leonard Lispenard, Colonel.
He married, Feb. 24, 1726, Mary Duyckink, born Oct. 4, 1702, daughter of Garret Duyckink, and Mary Abeel.
- David, Jr., born 1727, married July 2, 1752, Neiltje Van Bergan Van Katckel.
- James, born May 12, 1733. See further.
- Garret, born May 2, 1734.
- Annetti, bap. March 1, 1753.
Col. James Abeel
Col. James Abeel, Patriot of the Revolution, second son of David and Mary (Duyckink) Abeel, was born in Albany, N. Y., May 12, 1733, died in New Brunswick, N. J., April 20, 1825.
He enlisted early in the War of the Revolution and was Captain 1st Battalion, New York City Militia, Col. John Lasher, Sept. 14, 1775, Major of same August-November, 1776. This was known as the First Independent Battalion. It was a favorite corps, composed of young men of respectability and wealth, and when on parade attracted great attention. Its companies bore separate names, and the uniforms of each had some distinguishing feature. Major Abeel’s old company, which he commanded as Captain, was known as the “Rangers.” As reorganized in the summer of 1776, the regiment had for its field officers, Col. John Lasher, Lieut. Col. Andrew Stockholm and Major James Abeel.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
When it was decided by Washington to fortify New York city, the First Independent Battalion constructed Bayard’s Hill Redoubt on the west side of the Bowery, where Grand and Mulberry streets intersect. This regiment bore an important part in the battle of Long Island, which was fought August 27, 1776. It was attached to Gen. John Morin Scott’s Brigade. Johnson’s description of the battle states that: “As the report came in that the enemy intended to March at once upon Sullivan, Washington promptly sent him a reinforcement of six regiments, which included Miles’ and Atlee’ s, from Sterling’s brigade, Chester’s and Silliman’s from Wadsworth’s, and probably Lasher’s and Drake’s from Scott’s.” The suffering of this regiment after the battle are described in a letter from Gen. Scott, dated the 29th: “You may judge of our situation, subject to almost incessant rains, without baggage or tents, and almost without victuals or drink, and in some parts of the lines the men were standing up to their middles in water.” This regiment took part in the subsequent events immediately following the retreat of the American Army from Long Island.
Col. Abeel was subsequently attached to the staff of General Washington as Deputy Quartermaster General, New Jersey Continental Line, during the winter the army was encamped at Morristown, and had charge of the transportation between Philadelphia and West Point, residing at the time in his own house at Morristown.
He married, March 23, 1762, Gertrude Neilson, daughter of Dr. John Neilson, who came from Belfast, Ireland, about 1740, with his brother James, who settled at New Brunswick as a shipping merchant and ship owner. Dr. Neilson married Johannes, daughter of Andrew Coeyman, who came from Holland with his mother, the widow of Andreas Coeyman, and settled on the Hudson, on Coeyman’s patent, afterwards removing to Raritan, or Raritan Landing. Dr. Neilson died in 1745, as the result of an accident. He had one son, John, a distinguished officer of the Revolution, and a daughter Gertrude, who was married to Col. James Abeel.
Col. James Abeel, by his wife Gertrude (Neilson) Abeel
- David, born Jan. 13, 1763,
- Johanna, Sept. 13, 1764, married Leonard Blucker, and had three children:
- Gertrude, Feb. 23, 1786.
- James, Dec. 28, 1786.
- Maria, Sept. 26, 1788.
- Maria, born Nov. 30, 1766, died June 16, 1767;
- John Neilson, born Dec. 1, 1786.