ELIAS A. RICHARDSON. The self-made man is entitled to respect, and he gets it in America. He represents all that is vigorous and substantial in our American institutions, and is deserving of all praise. Elias A. Richardson is a native of Henderson County, West Tennessee, where he was born in 1851, a son of William and Mary E. (Seaton) Richardson, who became residents of Independence County, Arkansas, in 1853, but later came to Stone County, and here the father breathed his last October 10, 1892, in his sixty-eighth year. The mother is still living and resides on the old home farm in Franklin Township. They were members of the Missionary Baptist Church for years, and he was a Democrat in politics, and by occupation was a farmer, in which calling he met with success. Of eleven children born to them, the subject of this sketch was the fourth, and nine are now living.
The subject of this sketch came to Stone County with his parents in 1855, and here has since resided. His education was acquired in Independence County, and later in Stone Country, and upon reaching the age of eighteen years he commenced to do for himself as a tiller of the soil. He rented some river bottom land in Franklin Township, afterward followed the same occupation in Sharpe County, and then for some time was a resident of Franklin County, Arkansas He then returned to Franklin Township, Stone County, and after eight years settled on the farm of 360 acres which he now owns. This land is highly productive, and on the 125 acres that are under cultivation large crops are annually raised.
In 1869 Mr. Richardson was married to Nancy McMurry, of this county, who died in Franklin County after having become the mother of two children, a son and daughter. In 1875 he wedded Elizabeth Hall, and in 1891 was again left a widower, this wife having borne him ten children, three sons and five daughters living. December 24, 1893, he wedded his third and present wife, who was Miss Janie Gordon. Mr. Richardson has been quite prominent in the public affairs of his township, and for two years held the office of bailiff, and was then deputy sheriff of the county under E. E. Rosson, and also under T. W. Storey, the present sheriff. He is a stanch Democrat, and has always labored for the success of his party, and has wielded considerable influence in this respect. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and is a junior deacon in Buckhorn Lodge No. 303, of the A. F. & A. M.