The following histories of Illinois Civil War regiments and units originate from the first eight volumes of the nine volume publication, Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois (1900-1902). (The ninth volume lists units of the Black Hawk, Mexican and Spanish-American Wars as well as the War of 1812.) The histories, some written shortly after the war’s end, are the work of numerous authors throughout the intervening years. The 1886 version of the Adjutant General’s Report included regimental histories compiled by that office which had not previously been published. The final 1900-1902 republication of the report incorporated revisions and corrections to the histories.
On the 24th day of April, the NINTH ILLINOIS INFANTRY VOLUNTEERS was mustered into the service at Springfield for the term of three months. It was one of the six regiments organized under the first call of the President, at the commencement of the war of the rebellion. Six companies – A, B, C, D,
On the 25th day of April 1861, the Regiment was organized at Springfield, and mustered in for three months’ service. Richard J. Oglesby, of Decatur, was appointed Colonel. The regiment was immediately sent to Cairo. Companies A and D, in command of Capt. Isaac Pugh, were sent to Big Muddy river, to guard the railroad
Illinois having sent six regiments to the Mexican war, by courtesy the numbering of the regiments which took part in the war for the Union began with number seven. A number of regiments which responded to the first call of the President for troops claimed to be the first regiment in the field, but the
The Regiment was first called into service under proclamation of the President, April 16, 1861; organized at Springfield and mustered into service April 30, 1861, by Captain Pope, for three months. During this term of service the regiment was stationed at Villa Ridge, Ill., to June 20, then removed to Bird’s Point, Mo., where it
The TENTH ILLINOIS VOLUNTEER INFANTRY was one of the six Regiments called for by the Governor’s order of April 16, 1861. It was formed from the first four companies that reported at Springfield, April 20, 1861, which were ordered to Cairo on the 22nd, and there, with three other Infantry and three Artillery companies, the