W.H. Peck, dealer in lumber, coal, lime, etc., was born in Onondaga County, N.Y., in 1854; received his education from the High School of Syracuse. In 1879 he moved to Sac County, Ia., and in the autumn of the same year purchased above business of H.J. Simpson. Office on Main Street, near depot. He is
C.L. Sherwood, agent for the Iowa Land Company, was born in Berlin township, Delaware County, O., in June, 1817; remained there until 1854, and then moved to Clinton, Ia., where he engaged in farming. In 1873 he came to Sac County, purchased land in Clinton township, which he improved, and still owns, the farming being
N. Wright, president of the bank of Wall Lake, was born in Cedar County, Ia., in 1846; resided there until the autumn of 1871, then purchased 320 acres of land in Sac county, on which he moved the spring following. He farmed until Feb., 1882, when he established the bank. Does a general banking business;
H.B. Allen, postmaster of the firm of Allen & Jacobs, dealers in hardware and agricultural implements, was born in Clinton county, N.Y., in 1835; moved to Elgin, Ill., in 1855, and engaged in farming. In 1860 moved to De Kalb County, Ill. He enlisted in the 95th Ill. Vol. Inft., served three years. He was
George Burgan, grain dealer and manager of D. Wayne & Co.’s business at Wall Lake, was born in Wayne county, O., in 1845; moved with parents to Muscatine, Ia. In 1862 he enlisted in the 35th la. Vol. Inft.; was at the sieges of Vicksburg, Nashville, Pleasant Hill; was up the Red river with Gen.
E. L. Pierce, dealer in hardware, tinware, stoves, etc., was born in Linn County, Ia., in Oct., 1850; received education at Mt. Vernon College, and engaged in farming until 1874, then moved to Cedar County and engaged in milling with Peet Bros. He remained there four years then moved to Wall Lake and engaged in
C.F. Peck, dealer in general merchandise, was born in New London, Conn., in 1845; moved to Oneida, Ill., when thirteen years of age, and worked on a farm until the close of the war. He returned to Ill. and remained three years; afterwards moved to Jefferson, Ia. He was engaged as carpenter until 1877, then
J. Elliott, proprietor of the Eureka House, came to Wall Lake in Feb., 1882, from Ames, where he had resided for twenty years. The hotel is on the comer of Main and First streets, is well furnished and a first-class house.
J.J. Jones & Sons, grain dealers, formerly of Chicago, Ill., where they were engaged in the livery business several years; came to Wall Lake, Ia., in Jan., 1881, and purchased the elevator and business of G.W. Pitcher. Elevator has capacity of ten thousand bushels, and employs two men. During the year 1881 they shipped two
Frank Chandler, dealer in hats, caps, boots, shoes, clothing, furnishing goods and groceries, was born in Maquoketa, Ia., in Sept. 1849, there resided until 1870, then moved to Lyons, Ia., as agent for the Northern and Diamond Joe packet lines, and after two years, became book-keeper for the Clinton Chair Co., after which he traveled