Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
William E. Tucker, a successful farmer and dairyman living in Yorkville Township, is also serving as chairman of the board of supervisors, making an excellent record in that capacity. He was born in Brighton, Kenosha County, on the 14th of May, 1854, a son of William and Jane (Gilbert) Tucker, natives of England, the former born in 1823 and the latter in 1818. The paternal grandfather, James Tucker, passed his entire life in England, but the maternal grandfather, William Gilbert, came to America and on settling in Kenosha County, Wisconsin, entered two hundred acres in the vicinity of Corliss. He brought his farms to a high state of improvement and was one of the substantial land owners of his locality. His homestead is now owned and operated by W. E. Tucker. William Tucker, the father, came to the United States in early manhood and turned his attention to farming in Kenosha County, where he resided until his death in 1855. He was married in Kenosha County to Miss Jane Gilbert, who came to this country with her parents when twenty years old. She survived him for four decades, her demise occurring in 1895. They were Methodists in religious faith and the father was a local preacher. In political belief he was a prohibitionist and his influence was always on the side of right and moral improvement. He was well known and had many warm friends. To him and his wife were born three children, namely: J. G., who is a real estate dealer of Racine and owns twelve or fourteen houses there; E. B., an attorney of Columbus Junction, Iowa; and William E.
The last named was educated in the district schools and in the Rochester Academy. The winters were devoted to study and the summers to farm work and he thus acquired a thorough knowledge of agricultural pursuits, which has since been of the greatest value to him. As his father had died when he was an infant and as the family was in somewhat limited circumstances he and his brothers had to work hard in order to help meet the family expenses. He has continued to follow the occupation to which he was reared and now owns one hundred and twenty acres in Yorkville Township, which comprises part of the homestead of his maternal grandfather. The farm is improved with substantial and attractive buildings and everything about the place is kept in .excellent condition. He does general farming, but pays special attention to the dairy business, keeping a number of high grade Holstein cows. He was formerly for eight years engaged in the creamery business, in which he was very successful, taking charge during that time of three creameries, which were failing to make expenses, and building them up until they were paying institutions, afterward disposing of them at a profit. He has at all times depended upon his own resources for his advancement and his prosperity is proof of his business ability and his energy.
Mr. Tucker was married in October, 1902, to Miss Sarah Mytton, who was born in Kenosha County and is a daughter of Edward and Sarah Ann (Price) Mytton, born, respectively, in Wigmore. Hereford County, England, on the 11th of July, 1843, and in Lyons Hall, England, on the 23d of September, 1836. The father passed away on the 8th of June, 1902, but the mother survives and resides with her daughter, Mrs. Tucker. Mr. and Mrs. Tucker have become the parents of two children: Margaret and May, both attending school.
Mr. Tucker supports the prohibitionist party at the polls and has taken an active interest in public affairs. In 1904 he was elected supervisor and in 1906 was elected chairman of the board, in which office he has since served. Both he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church at Union Grove and in its teachings have found the principles which govern their conduct. Their sterling worth is generally recognized and their friends are many.