William C. Hood, who since 1898 has been manager for the American Seating Company at Racine, was born in this city April 21, 1860, a son of Samuel and Alice (Coy) Hood. The father was a son of Thomas Hood, who came from New York to Racine in 1836, when the work of development and improvement had scarcely been begun in this section of the state. He secured government land and became one of the pioneer settlers of the district. Hood’s creek was named in his honor. His son, Samuel Hood, engaged in farming to the age of twenty-one years and afterward entered the employ of J. I. Case, with whom he remained for several years. Subsequently he established a lumberyard which he conducted for many years, carrying on a growing and profitable business. Later he retired and spent his last days in the enjoyment of well earned rest, passing away after reaching the eightieth milestone on life’s journey. His wife is also deceased. Mr. Hood had served as a member of the school board and was interested in all that pertained to public progress and improvement. At the time of the Civil war he became a member of the commissary department and in politics he was always a republican, standing loyally by the party which was the defense of the Union during the dark days of civil strife.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
William C. Hood acquired a public school education in Racine and made his initial step in the business world as a clerk, spending a year and a half in different stores. In 1880 he entered the employ of the Racine Hardware Manufacturing Company, which had been organized in 1876 by F. H. Head, Thomas Kane, E. G. Durant and I. C. Clapp. In 1893 that company failed, but the following year the business was reorganized under the firm style of Thomas Kane & Company. In 1899 it was incorporated under the laws of New Jersey as the American School Furniture Company, but in 1906 the name was changed to the American Seating Company and has so since continued. In this connection Mr. Hood has gradually worked his way upward and in 1894 was made superintendent of the plant, having in the meantime gained comprehensive knowledge of the business in principle and detail. He has been manager since 1898 and the successful control of the business in the operative department is largely attributable to his efforts, sound judgment, broad experience and keen discrimination.
In 1891 Mr. Hood was united in marriage to Miss Cora G. Galliene, of Racine, a daughter of Captain John Galliene, who was a lake captain and one of the pioneer settlers of this city. Mr. and Mrs. Hood have four children, namely: Stanley, Coy, Vincent and Martha.
Fraternally Mr. Hood is connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Royal Arcanum. That he is interested in the welfare and improvement of his city is indicated in his hearty co-operation with the plans and projects of the Commercial Club. For the past seven years he has served as a member of the school board and the cause of education finds in him a stalwart champion. He has always voted with the Republican Party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He was one of the organizers of the Racine Light Guards, which was mustered into the state service May 4, 1881, as Company F. Wisconsin National Guard. He served as private and sergeant until July 19, 1883, when he was elected second lieutenant. On the 7th of January, 1884, he was appointed first lieutenant and served as such until December 27, 1887, when he was commissioned captain. Owing to the increase of business cares he was compelled to resign in the summer of 1889. He belongs to the Baptist church and sterling principles have characterized his entire career. It has been through fidelity, industry and integrity that he worked his way upward from a humble position until he is now active in the control of one of the leading business enterprises of the city.