Robert G. Nelson, active in the field of real estate, insurance and loans in Racine, was born in this city September 14, 1877, a son of Simon N. and Sophia (Weaver) Nelson, both of whom were natives of Christiania, Norway. When young they came to the United States and were married in Chicago, but in the early ’70s removed to Racine. The father was a sailor and became the owner of several boats. He commanded the Caledonia as its captain and was also captain of the I. L. Shanks, in which he owned a half interest. His entire life was devoted to seamanship and he passed away in 1904, survived by his widow, who still makes her home in Racine.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
After pursuing a public school education in this city, Robert G. Nelson turned his attention to the meat business and was the proprietor of several markets at various places in Racine during the fourteen years in which he engaged in the meat business. In that undertaking he prospered but eventually sold out and about 1906 turned his attention to the real estate business, opening an office in connection with E. G. H. Wendt under the firm style of Wendt & Nelson. This partnership was dissolved two years later and Mr. Nelson continued alone for about four years, when he admitted W. S. Dooley to a partnership under the firm name of Nelson & Dooley. After three years he sold out to Mr. Dooley and again opened an independent office, located at No. 620 State street. There he is conducting a general real estate, insurance and loan business and the various departments are proving a profitable source of income. He makes it his purpose to keep in close touch with the real estate market, knows the property that is for sale and is thoroughly conversant concerning realty values, so that he is able to assist his clients in making judicious purchases and profitable sales.
In June, 1914, Mr. Nelson was united in marriage to Miss Gertrude Spring-rude, of Blanchardville, Wisconsin, and they have a son, Robert G., Jr. Mr. Nelson votes with the Republican Party but has never been an aspirant for office. He has membership in the Commercial Club and is deeply interested in the purposes of that organization, co-operating in its well defined plans to advance the interests and extend the trade relations of the city.