J. A. Schmitz, secretary and treasurer of the Arnold Electric Company, was born in Racine, March 9, 1862, a son of Nicholas Schmitz, who is mentioned elsewhere in this work in connection with the sketch of his son, George C. Schmitz. The educational opportunities afforded J. A. Schmitz were those to he obtained in the public and parochial schools of Racine and upon attaining his majority he went, in 1883, to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he accepted a position and also pursued a course in a business college. Later he opened a real estate office in that city and after continuing for a short time in that field turned his attention to the wholesale cigar and tobacco business. Eventually he became manager of the mail order department of the firm of Field, Schlick & Company.
It was in August, 1910, that Mr. Schmitz returned to Racine to become secretary and treasurer of the Arnold Electric Company and to his duties in that connection he has since bent his energies, contributing to the development and upbuilding of the business, which in the last few years has made rapid strides, becoming one of the large and important manufacturing concerns of the city, placing upon the market a large line of motor devices. lts inventions have met a want in household appliances, greatly lessening labor in many particulars and a record of the company is given at length on another page of this work.
In 1890 Mr. Schmitz was married to Miss Helena Schlick of St. Paul, a daughter of Frank and Coelestine (Forester) Schlick, of St. Paul, in which city they were pioneer residents and the father was engaged in business as a contractor and builder. Mr. and Mrs. Schmitz have but one child, Helena, at home. The parents are members of St. Rose Catholic church. Ability has brought Mr. Schmitz to the front in manufacturing circles. With energy and determination he has overcome the obstacles and difficulties in his path and advancing step by step has reached a creditable place as a forceful and resourceful business man.