Biography of Henry W. Lewis
Henry W. Lewis is actively engaged in the cultivation of a good farm on section 24, Mount Pleasant Township. This farm is connected with the County insane asylum and he has been its superintendent for eight years. He was born in Mount Pleasant Township, March 8, 1868, a son of Andrew Jackson and Hattie (Northrup) Lewis, the former a native of New York and the latter of Wisconsin. They were married at Rock Prairie, Wisconsin, in 1864, and they became the parents of two sons, Henry W. and Roy. The latter wedded Mary Zimmerman and they became the parents of twins, Milton and Mildred. The father followed the occupation of farming throughout his active business life and thus provided a comfortable living for his family. He now makes his home with his son Henry, his wife having died on the 25th of March, 1911, her remains being interred in Mound cemetery. In his political views Mr. Lewis has ever been an earnest republican since age conferred upon him the right of franchise and in his religious faith he is a Baptist
Henry W. Lewis acquired a common school education, pursuing his studies until he reached the age of sixteen or seventeen years, after which he worked with his father to the age of twenty. He then started out in business independently and for two years rented a farm. At the end of that time he rented his father’s farm, which he cultivated for a year and then invested in property in 1891, becoming the owner of three hundred acres on Twelfth Street, which he still farms. He lived upon that place for six years and then removed to Racine, where he continued to reside for nine years. He next accepted the position of superintendent of the County insane asylum and has acted in that capacity for eight years. In this connection he directs the labors of the farm, which he has brought to a high state of cultivation, the work being attended by a substantial measure of profit.
On the 8th of February, 1891, Mr. Lewis was married to Miss Adella Place, a daughter of William Place, of Franksville, who was one of the early settlers of this part of the state. He was born in New York, while his wife was a native of Wales. Mr. and Mrs. Place became the parents of six children: Jule, who married Herman Jensen and is living in Kenosha; George, a resident of Mount Pleasant Township; Henry, whose home is in Franksville, Wisconsin; Ada, of Racine; Adella, now Mrs. Lewis; and Will, whose home is in Franksville, Wisconsin.
Mr. Lewis is identified with the Modern Woodmen camp at Corliss and he gives his political allegiance to the Republican Party. He usually attends the Freewill Baptist church and his life has at all times been honorable and upright. He is today the owner of three hundred acres of well improved land and he owes his success entirely to his perseverance, industry and capable management. He has never been afraid of hard work and when difficulties and obstacles have confronted him they have seemed to serve as an impetus for renewed effort on his part.