In real estate circles Clarence A. McLaughlin, member of the firm of Keefe & McLaughlin, is well known, for he has not only negotiated many important real estate transfers but is also active in the field of speculative building and in this way has contributed much toward the improvement of the city, operating in his building interests as a member of the Community Realty Company. He was born in Racine, January 24, 1892, and is a son of Joseph and Clara (Nagler) McLaughlin, the former a native of Racine and the latter of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The paternal grandfather, Patrick McLaughlin, was born in County Down, Ireland, and came to Wisconsin at a very early day, settling at Two Rivers, where he remained for a short time. He afterward removed to Racine, where he established a tannery and in that business he continued for many years, his being one of the first enterprises of the character in the community. In his later life he lived retired. His son Joseph learned and followed the machinist’s trade. Having arrived at years of maturity, he married Clara Nagler, a daughter of Joseph Nagler, who became one of the early settlers of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Mrs. McLaughlin passed away March 29, 1915, in the faith of the Catholic Church, with which Mr. McLaughlin is also identified, being a communicant of St. Patrick’s.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Clarence A. McLaughlin attended the parochial and public schools of Racine and was graduated from the College of Commerce with the class of 1908. He was afterward employed for a short time by the J. I. Case Threshing Machine Company and afterward became bookkeeper for the Standard Electrical Company, which a little later sold to the McCrum-Howell Company, and Mr. McLaughlin was made purchasing agent. On the 1st of August, 1913, he entered the real estate business in connection with H. S. Keefe as the firm of Keefe & McLaughlin at No. 338 Main Street and since that time they have constantly broadened the scope of their interests and activities. Not only have they handled real estate in negotiating property transfers but they also organized the Community Realty Company for the building and sale of both flats and residences. Of this company Mr. McLaughlin is the president with Mr. Keefe as secretary and treasurer. In 1915 they erected fifteen buildings and nine others are now in the course of construction. Their operations have been attended with substantial success and their efforts have changed many unsightly vacancies into attractive residence lots, upon which they have built homes in pleasing style.
Mr. McLaughlin belongs to the Knights of Columbus and to St. Patrick’s Catholic church. He is also identified with the Elks and with the Commercial Club and in politics he maintains an independent course. He is regarded as one of the representative young business men of the city, being now but twenty-four years of age, and already he has attained a place in real estate circles that many a man of twice his years might well envy.