Adolph W. Hilker is a partner in the firm of Hilker Brothers, of Racine. The name has long been synonymous with business enterprise in this city and the record of A. W. Hilker fully sustains the enviable reputation which has ever been associated with the commercial and industrial enterprises conducted by the Hilker family. He was born in Racine, December 25, 1867, and is a son of Adolph and Caroline (Broeker) Hilker, who are mentioned at length on another page of this work in connection with the sketch of his brother, H. A. Hilker. After attending the public schools A. W. Hilker continued his education in the Marsh Business College and when his textbooks were put aside he became associated with his father in the brick manufacturing business with which he became thoroughly familiar in both principle and detail. After the death of his father he was associated with his brother in organizing the firm of Hilker Brothers Brick Manufacturing Company, of which he became secretary and treasurer, with Henry August Hilker as vice president and William liner, Sr., president. They employed about seventy-five men and their annual output exceeded six million bricks, including cream colored pressed and common brick. That Adolph W. Hilker ranked high in the regard of others in the same line of business is indicated in the fact that he was for two years honored with the presidency of the Brick Manufacturers’ Association of Wisconsin. In 1914 the company discontinued the manufacture of brick but still engaged in its sale, handling a fine Chicago product. In 1915 they accepted the agency of the Red Seal Oil Company, Adolph W. Hilker remaining active in the management of the brick business, while his brother, Henry A. Hilker, has the management of the oil trade. The former is also connected with the Fox-Hilker Shoe Company, manufacturers of men’s fine shoes, and is now chairman of the board of directors. For five years he has been president of the. Wisconsin Clay Workers’ Association. At the present time they are developing a summer resort along the lake having eighty acres with a frontage of half a mile on the beach.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
On the 7th of November, 1895, Mr. Hilker was married to Miss Amelia Buscher, who was born in Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, and they now have a daughter, Luella Dorothy. The parents are members of the First Evangelical church, in which Mr. Hilker is serving as a trustee. In politics he is an earnest republican and for a year filled the office of supervisor. He has taken an active interest in both political and church affairs and has been a co-operant factor in many well defined plans and measures for the public good. His life work has been fruitful of substantial results and he has added new laurels to the fair name of Hilker in Racine County.