Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Active and energetic through his entire business career, Adelmer A. Bishop has worked along the lines of success and that he has achieved what he has purposed is indicated in the fact that he is now proprietor of a profitable laundry business, which includes a plant erected at a cost of thirty-five thousand dollars. Always a resident of southeastern Wisconsin, he was born in Kenosha County, September 4, 1871, a son of the Honorable Isaac T. and Lydia Jane (Clemmons) Bishop. The father was born in Somers, Kenosha County, June 6, 1844, and is a son of Jacob Bishop, a native of New England who, in the pioneer epoch of Wisconsin’s development, settled in Kenosha County. Isaac T. Bishop was there reared and at the time of the Civil war responded to the country’s call for aid, enlisting in Company F, Fifty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Regiment, and serving for three years in defence of the Union, during which period he participated in the battles of Arkansas Post, Raymond, Champion’s Hill and Vicksburg. After the war he turned his attention to farming, becoming one of the representative agriculturists of this part of the state. His fellow townsmen appreciative of his worth and ability and recognizing his patriotic devotion to the general good, frequently called him to public office. He served as Township chairman for five years, was justice of the peace for eleven years and in 1906 was elected to the state senate while in 1910 he was re-elected a member of the upper house of the general assembly, receiving a majority vote of five thousand, three hundred and nineteen against his majority of fourteen hundred and fifty-three in 1910. This fact certainly indicates how efficient his service was during his first term, winning the unqualified confidence of the great majority of the citizens of the senatorial district. In addition to conducting agricultural interests for many years he was for thirty-three years secretary of the Somers Mutual Fire Insurance Company, but is now living in Kenosha County-honored and respected wherever known and most of all where he is best known. His wife died in the year 1912. They had a family of five children: John C., now deceased; Adelmer A.; Edward S., a teacher in science in Chicago University; Isaac T., who has departed this life; and Benjamin H., who occupies the old homestead farm.
Reared under the parental roof Adelmer A. Bishop had the usual training and experience of the farm bred boy. He obtained a public school education and attended the State Normal School at Whitewater and the College of Commerce at Kenosha. As he approached the time when he believed he should provide for his own support he determined to enter the commercial field and for nine years was employed as bookkeeper by the J. I. Case Threshing Machine Company. In 1901 he incorporated the West. Side Laundry Company, taking over the company by that name which had been organized about fifteen years before, and opened a plant at No. 1025 State Street, where he continued until 1916, when he removed to State and Silver streets, he having erected a new plant at a cost of thirty-five thousand dollars. This is one of the best in the state, is supplied with modern equipment and the machines are all individually motor driven. Employment is furnished to thirty people and three wagons are operated in connection with collections and deliveries. Most approved methods of laundry work are used by him and the excellence of the work is indicated in his increasing patronage. He was one or the organizers and is a director of the Farmers & Merchants Bank.
On October 17, 1900, Mr. Bishop was married to Miss Emma Maude Thompson, a daughter of Frank W. Thompson, of Milwaukee. Wisconsin, and they have one child, Gordon A. Mr. Bishop exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican Party and while he does not seek nor desire office in reward for party fealty he is loyal and progressive in matters of citizenship and gives active support to the Commercial Club, of which he is a member and which is putting forth every effort for the benefit and upbuilding of the city. He was one of the organizers and a director of the Racine Retail Merchants Association. He belongs to the Plymouth Congregational church, of which he is a trustee and to the Young Men’s Christian Association and heartily indorses and advocates all plans and measures for advancing the moral progress of the community.