White, Horatio Nelson, Panton, Vt., was born in St. Armand, P. Q., on October 23, 1802. He was the eldest child of Ebenezer and Candace (Smith) White, who were natives of Worcester county, Mass. Soon after the birth of their son they removed to Essex, Vt., and shortly after to Burlington, Vt., where they ever after lived, and where they died. It was there his boyhood days were spent; but as the parents were poor and other children were added to the family, it became necessary that as early as possible they should become self-supporting. While quite young he obtained a situation as “cabin boy” upon one of the numerous vessels that in those days did the freighting on Lake Champlain. His winters were spent in service upon the land. He worked his way up from his humble position until he became captain and owner of a vessel, and was ever after familiarly known as “Captain White.” A life upon the water had a peculiar charm for him, and its incidents he recounted with much pleasure, even to the last days of his life. On the 31st of December, 1829, he was married to Syrena Adams, a daughter of Friend and Elizabeth (Stagg) Adams, who was born in Panton, Vt., October 27, 1808. In 1830 he left the lake, and the following year they began life together upon a farm in Ferrisburgh, Vt. On April 10, 1834, they removed to a farm in Panton, Vt., where they ever after resided. Here they raised a family of five children, three sons and two daughters — Friend A., born January 1, 1833; Frances E., born April 17, 1834; William E., born August 13, 1836; George A., born March 19, 1838; and Candace E., born July 2, 1842. The youngest son, George A., in response to his country’s call, enlisted in Company K, Second Vermont Regiment, in the spring of 1861, and died in the United States Hospital at West Philadelphia, Pa., August 22, 1862. The other four are still living. The wife and mother, Syrena, died September 23, 1876. The father, Horatio Nelson, was married to Mrs. Susan B. Spaulding, of Rutland, Vt., formerly a resident of Panton, on April 13, 1880, and died on May 4, 1886. He ever had a lively interest in the affairs of the town, filled responsible offices, was three times its chosen representative, etc. He was a member of the M. E. Church for nearly half a century.