Peleg Whitford, the founder of the Whitford family in Addison, was born in Rhode Island in 1744, and after three months’ schooling was apprenticed to a tailor. He married in the town of Coventry, and removed to Lanesboro, Mass., living for a short time near a place called “Cheshire Meeting-House,” and since known as “Whitford’s Rocks.” In the spring of 1781 he again moved, this time to Shaftsbury, Vt., where he remained until February, 1802, when he sold out and came to this town, and resided here until his death, at the age of eighty-eight years. His only son, William, was a resident of the town many years, served in the War of 1812, and left a family of ten children.
Biographical Sketch of Peleg Whitford
MLA Source Citation:Finished Round 1 Editing. Needs locations and topics in round 2. Needs index page AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 12 February 2016.
https://www.accessgenealogy.com/vermont/biographical-sketch-of-peleg-whitford.htm- Last updated on Sep 1st, 2012
This page is part of a larger collection. Access the full collection at History of Addison County Vermont.