Allen, Judge Norman J., Ferrisburgh, North Ferrisburgh p. o., was born in Phelps, N.Y. on March 31, 1818, and settled in North Ferrisburgh, Vt., in 1838, when he began business as a merchant, a branch of trade which proved a success to him, and in which he engaged until his retirement from mercantile life in 1860. He made but few changes in his business, but through all these he still remained chief. He was also engaged in the milling business under the firm name of Allen & Percival, which property they still hold and rent. He served as associate judge of Addison county, Vt., with Court Judge Pierpoint, and also with Judges Slade and Ferry. He has been lister, justice of the peace of his town, and also held other offices. He was married on December 15, 1841, to Sarah Martin, who was born in Ferrisburgh, Vt., and was a daughter of Stoddard Martin. She died on April 10, 1873, leaving three children, Martin Fletcher, Anna Caroline, and Stoddard Norman. Norman J. then married his second wife, Mrs. Lucinda Palmer (widow of James Palmer), on December 17, 1873. She had one daughter by her first husband, Abbie Palmer (now Mrs. Dean). Lucinda was a daughter of Medad Martin. Norman J. Allen was a son of Cyrus and Sally (Fletcher) Allen, who were born in Woodstock, Vt. Mrs. Sally Allen died on August 8, 1818, and was buried at Clyde, N. Y., when Norman was brought to Woodstock, Vt. He remained there until reaching the age of fourteen years, when he went to Jericho, and there clerked and attended the academy. From there he went to Bristol, Vt., where he went into business at the age of nineteen years. From Bristol, Vt., he came to Ferrisburgh in 1838.
Biographical Sketch of Judge Norman J. Allen
MLA Source Citation:Finished Round 1 Editing. Needs locations and topics in round 2. Needs index page AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 30 July 2016.
https://www.accessgenealogy.com/vermont/biographical-sketch-of-judge-norman-j-allen.htm- Last updated on Sep 1st, 2012
This page is part of a larger collection. Access the full collection at History of Addison County Vermont.