Biographical Sketch of Jonathan Colby
Colby, Jonathan (deceased), Lincoln, was born in the town of Deering, N. H. He came from Ware, N. H., to Lincoln, Vt., in 1839; bought fifty acres of land in the southern part of Lincoln, Vt., which are now owned by Chester Bingham. He was a carpenter and joiner by trade, a business which he followed for some time after settling in Lincoln, Vt. He died in 1846. His wife was Hannah Wilson, a daughter of Robert and Rebecca Wilson, natives of New Boston, N. H. They had a family of six children born to them — Daniel S. (deceased), Eliza J. (now Mrs. John Elliott, of Burlington, Vt.), Hannah L. (married James A. Heath, of Rutland, Vt.), Stephen N. (born on February 4, 1822); came from Tewksbury, Mass., in 1841, without money. After a few years he purchased a farm of fifty acres and then engaged in farming. He was married on December 8, 1842, to Lydia A. Colby, a daughter of Joseph Colby, and by her has had a family of three children — Cleora L. (now Mrs. William Hoag, of Lincoln, Vt.), Irving A., and Nettie A., who is now at home. Mr. Colby represented his town in the Legislature in 1867 and 1868; was selectman for several years during the war; has been justice of the peace for many years since 1851, and all the time, with the exception of four years, since 1860. His son, Irving A. Colby, was born on April 28, 1845, on the old fifty-acre homestead. He was married on April 28, 1868, to Elizabeth S. Elliott, a daughter of Zira Elliott. They have had one daughter born to them, Mabel, and one daughter dead, Angie. Mr. Colby has held the office of second selectman of his town. His farm consists of two hundred acres.