Addison Vermont – Municipal History
Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Addison is exclusively an agricultural township. Though one of the oldest and in a historical point of view one of the most important towns in the State, the only settlement within its limits at all approaching the dignity of a village is a small cluster of houses in the northeastern part of the town, and known as “The Corners.” Here is located the town hall. As early as 1830 there were two stores located here, and the mercantile business was continued down to about ten years ago, the last merchant being Stephen Gregory.
Chimney Point was formerly a place of considerable importance, and bid fair to one day be the site of a flourishing village. But with the advent of the railroad the course of commerce was taken from the lake; the village declined and its once crowded wharf has long since gone to decay. Asahel Barnes, sr., began keeping hotel here at an early date. In 1841 this was taken by George B. Pease, who ran the business about four years and failed, when Asahel Barnes, Jr., bought the property and kept the hotel down to about 1861, when he gradually discontinued the business. In 1824 Amos B. Chubb opened a store here, and after a time was succeeded by Byron Murray, who continued the business until 1837. He was succeeded by Rev. Mr. Goodwin, a Methodist clergyman, and by Benjamin C. Needham, down to about 1854, when the business was discontinued.
Asahel Barnes, sr., had a cabinet and clock-shop here a few years. The ferry at the Point was established a few years before Asahel Barnes, sr., came here, and has been continued since. It is now controlled by John Wright, though Asahel Barnes, Jr., had it for a number of years prior to 1885.
West Addison is a small hamlet located in the western part of the town.
Town Line is the postal name given a neighborhood on the line between Addison and Bridport.