Topic: Church

History of First Methodist Church, Pulaski County, Georgia

Nineteen twenty-five marked the hundredth anniversary of the Methodist Church’s work in Hawkinsville. The people called Methodists are connected with the very beginning of our city. It was in 1821 that the Georgia legislature authorized two Methodist laymen to erect a ferry line across the Ocmulgee River from land they owned in Hartford to the present site of Hawkinsville. It was a Methodist merchant that opened the first store inside the present city’s incorporate limits. It was a Methodist minister that first came as a regular preacher to Hawkinsville. The First Methodist Church congregation was the first Christian church to be organized in the village. The first church edifice to be erected in Hawkinsville was that of the Methodist congregation, built prior to 1832 and located on the corner of North Dooly and First Streets. Hawkinsville was a regular preaching appointment on the Houston Circuit in...

Read More

History of Adriel Primitive Baptist Church, Pulaski County, Georgia

Before writing anything concerning Adriel Church we will first tell the reason it came into existence. Mount Horeb Church was established October 15, 1809, by some of the earliest Baptist settlers of Pulaski County. It was on February 14, 1844, that Brother Joe Burkhalter nailed and locked up the doors of historic old Mount Horeb Church to prevent the entrance of the members of that church who adopted missionary sentiments. Mount Horeb was then located near the present site of Centenary Methodist Church. Mr. Burkhalter was perhaps a deacon of Mount Horeb. He feared the religious innovations of the times and determined to resist such incursions on the ancient order of things. He acted with decision and resolution and forced the missionary element of the congregation to retire. Churches of other denominations sprang up in the neighborhood of old Mount Horeb. It is presumed that the center of population for the Mount Horeb membership shifted, and so it was moved to a location near the plantation of the late Jacob Blount. This second site is now owned by the Dr. J. B. Peacock estate. Mount Horeb remained in its new home for a number of years. But it seemed that the center of population for its members had again shifted. So, about the year 1910 Mount Horeb Church was again moved. This time the church was moved to Empire,...

Read More

History of Midway Baptist Church, Pulaski County, Georgia

For many years Old Adam Meeting House was the only religious structure on the old River Road or in the Lampkin settlement. In fact, after leaving Hawkinsville, prior to the year 1800, and for nearly three-score years in the nineteenth century, Old Adam Meeting House was the only place of worship situated on the east side of the Ocmulgee River, south. This church was located about eleven miles from Hawkinsville on the lower River Road just below Mosquito Creek. At this time James L. Lampkin owned all the land in that vicinity, and the church site was donated by him. This House of God, like so many of our present-day organizations, was not immune to differences and arguments. So, due to some political split among the members which grew out of several years’ friction, part of the members decided to pull away from the Adam Meeting House and erect a church of their own. The little flock of seceders decided on a spot half way between Old Limestone Church on the Chicken Road, and old Daniels Church on the lower River Road. In 1857 the new meeting house was ready for dedication, and since it was about half way between the other churches the church fathers decided to name it Midway. The minutes of this church were lost from the year 1857 to 1838. These records were burned in...

Read More

History of Antioch Baptist Church, Pulaski County, Georgia

Antioch Baptist Church was organized August 10, 1893. Rev. R. Bullington preached the organization sermon. The group entered into a conference and elected A. C. Fulghum clerk. The charter members were: Sarah Foster, W. J. Pirkle and wife, J. T. Stephens, Catherine Stephens, J. L. Stephens and wife, B. F. Bracewell, H. D. Vaughn, A. C. Fulghum and wife. Fellowship was the name given the church. After a few years some became dissatisfied with the name and it was changed to Antioch. The services were held under an arbor for three or four years before a house was erected. In 1927 the house was torn down and a new one built near Pulaski High School. The new church was dedicated Sunday, May 30, 1928. Rev. W. D. Ogletree was pastor at this time. Antioch was in the Little River Association until the Pulaski-Bleckley Association was formed, and was one of the first to join this new Association. One preacher has gone out from Antioch, Rev. Lewis Bullington. He became a member in July, 1903, b}, experience. This Antioch is not to be confused with Old Antioch, near Fountain’s Mill. Old Antioch was dissolved a few years after New Antioch was constituted. Part of her members came to the new church. The church is one of the best equipped churches in PulaskiBleckley Association. It has four classrooms in its teaching...

Read More

History of Friendship Baptist Church, Pulaski County, Georgia

Friendship Baptist Church, of Pulaski County, Georgia, was organized May 6, 1843. This church was constituted at the home of Mr. Reubin E. Reynolds I who was born in 1795 and died in 1872) and wife, Winnie Cutts Reynolds, and his daughter, Cynthia Reynolds (who later became the wife of John Wesley Turner). The ministers constituting the presbytery were: Berry Hobbs and Joseph Ross. The charter members were: Benjamin Franklin Adams, William Ridley, Jesse Grantham, Reubin E. Reynolds, Martha Adams, Nancy Ridley, and Winnie Cutts Reynolds. Services were held in the Reynolds home until the first Friendship Church was built, about a mile from the ancestral home of Reubin E. Reynolds, near the present Pulaski-Wilcox County line. Around this old landmark clusters memories of ninety-two eventful years, and since the present building occupies the site of the old house of worship, it is linked with the days of pioneers. There were only seven families of the early pioneer settlers in this community who moved to this county from Houston County. The church is situated just off the historic old Blackshear Trail, about fourteen miles south of Hawkinsville. Four different buildings have housed the congregation during this time. The first was a structure of legs and boards held in place by weights and pegs. Mr. Harmon Knight (it is believed) gave the first spot of land where the church stands....

Read More

History of the Churches of Croydon NH

Congregationalists – The first church was organized September 9, 1778, and was of the Presbyterian order. The following are the names of its members: Moses Whipple, Stephen Powers, Isaac Sanger, John Cooper, Joseph Hall, Jacob Leland, John Sanger, Catherine Whipple, Rachel Powers, Mary Cooper, Anna Leland, Lydia Hall, Hannah Giles and Lucy Whipple. The first meeting-house was built in 1794, and in 1828 it was taken down and converted into a town hall. The first minister, Rev. Jacob Haven, was settled June 18, 1787, and he continued pastor until 1834, after which he remained senior pastor until the time of his death, which occurred March 17, 1845, at the advanced age of eighty-two years. A new and commodious church edifice was built in 1826, which was regularly occupied by the society until 1874 when it was closed. Rev. Eli W. Taylor, a native of Hinesburg, VT., was installed pastor June 10, 1834 and was dismissed December 27, 1837. Aurelius S. Swift, of Fairlee, Vt., was ordained May 16, 1838, and was dismissed in 1841. After his removal the desk was supplied by Rev. Joel Davis, a native of Massachusetts, for several years, after which it was supplied by various clergymen until 1881. At the latter date the Methodists at East Village united with them and settled Rev. D. W. Clark, who remained until 1883. He was succeeded by Rev....

Read More

The Second Congregational Church of Alstead New Hampshire

In 1788 a number of the members of the first church became dissatisfied with their pastor, or pastors, withdrew from the society, and with others, organized the Second Congregational church, at East Alstead, with eighteen members, over whom Rev. Levi Lankton, of Southington, Conn., was installed, September z, r 7 89. He remained with the society about a third of a century, receiving into the church ninetythree members. The society now has sixty-seven members, a Sabbath-school with sixty-five members, and a church building capable of seating 250 persons, with Rev. George A. Beckwith,...

Read More

History of the Oak Hill Presbyterian Church, Valliant, Oklahoma

The Oak Hill Presbyterian Church was organized about June 29, 1869, with six members, namely, Henry Crittenden, who was ordained an elder, Teena Crittenden, his wife, J. Ross Shoals and his wife Hettie Shoals, Emily Harris and Reindeer Clark. The services at first were held in the home and later in an arbor at the home of Henry Crittenden, one mile east of the present town of Valliant, and now known as the home of James and Johnson Shoals. After a few years the place of meeting was transferred to an arbor about two miles southwest of Crittenden’s, and two years later, 1878, to the Oak Hill schoolhouse, a frame building erected that year on the main east and west road north of Red river. It was located on the southwest quarter of section 27, near the site on which Valliant was located in 1902. It is reported, that Henry Crittenden was the principal contributor towards the erection of this building. His cash income though meager was greater than others and he gave freely in order that a suitable place might be provided both for public worship and a day school for the neighborhood. Parson Charles W. Stewart of Doaksville, a representative of the last generation of those who were slaves to the Indians, was the minister in charge from the time of organization until the spring of 1893,...

Read More

A Short History of Saint Wilfrid’s Parish

The following is reprinted verbatim from a pamphlet issued by Saint Wilfrid’s: The Episcopal Church in Marion was established in 1838, the same year in which Judson College was founded. First entry in the parish register tells that the new church was organized at Eastertide by the Rev. John R. Goodman, then residing at Greensboro, under the name of St. Michael’s Parish. St. Michael’s was admitted to the Seventh Annual Convention on May 5, 1838, and was assessed $10.00 for contingent expenses. First rector of the parish was the Rev. Andrew Matthews, who served Cahaba as well as Marion. Since there was no church building, Mr. Matthews held services in the courthouse. To the Diocesan Convention of May, 1839, he reported: “Baptisms 4; Marriages 0; Funerals 0; Communicants 3.” Mr. Matthews remained for only a matter of months, however, and from the time he left there was no Episcopal service in Marion until December, 1847, when the Rev. W. A. Stickney arrived and services were resumed in the courthouse. To Mr. Stickney’s clerical duties were soon added those of schoolteacher, as a parish school was established in 1849. Regarding the school, the name of which became “St. Wilfrid’s School,” Walter C. Whitaker in his book The Church in Alabama, published in 1898, wrote, “The times were especially propitious for such schools, as no scheme of common-school education at public...

Read More

Historic Shady Grove Methodist Episcopal Church

In February 1999, the historic Shady Grove Methodist Episcopal Church building was added to the Alabama Register of Historic Landmarks.  The historic wooden church was constructed around 1892 in the Ruby community, just west of Logan, Alabama in Cullman County. The building stands today much as it did when it was completed.  There are no electric lights, indoor plumbing or running water.  Air conditioning is provided by opening tall windows. The church and adjoining cemetery were built on seven acres of land donated by Richard and Jane McCain in December 28, 1882.  Mr. McCain’s grandmother Sarah McCain was the first person buried in the Shady Grove Cemetery.  Like so many others who lived in the hill country of what was then Winston County, McCain served in the First Alabama (Union) Cavalry, United States Volunteers in the Civil War. This is McCain’s marker in the Shady Grove Cemetery In her Combing Cullman County, historian Margaret Jean Jones writes: The Shady Grove Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the early 1870s with J. J. McKissick, W. H. Martin and J. C. Vickery as trustees.  On December 28, 1882, Richard McCain and his wife Jane, who had homesteaded 159 acres of land earlier that year, deeded seven acres of land for the church and cemetery. (Richard McCain’s grandmother, Susana McCain, had been the first to be buried on this property in 1876)....

Read More


Free Genealogy Archives

It takes a village to grow a family tree!
Genealogy Update - Keeping you up-to-date!
101 Best Websites 2016

Pin It on Pinterest