RUFUS ALBERT HOOVER, M. D. A rising young physician of Madison County, Rufus Albert Hoover, M. D., is busily engaged in the practice of his profession in Orestes, where he is also serving most acceptably as principal of the public school, He was born in North Carolina, but was brought up in Indiana, coming with his parents, to this state when he was a small child.
The Doctor’s father, Thomas Hoover, was born, reared and married in North Carolina. Coming with his family to Indiana, he settled in Hamilton County, where he spent his closing years of life, pass ing away in June, 1904, His wife, whose maiden name was Catherine Briles, died several years before he did, her death occurring. in 1874, They were the parents of six children, namely: Mrs. Nancy Bolander; Mrs. Rachael Hoover; Andrew S.; Mrs. Margaret Halderman, who died December 15, 1901; Joseph L.; and Rufus A., with whom this brief sketch is chiefly concerned.
After his graduation from the high school in Sheridan, Hamilton County, Rufus A. Hoover taught school for awhile, and later continued his studies at the Indiana University, in Bloomington, Having then decided to enter the medical profession, he went to Chicago, where he took up the study of medicine and surgery at the Loyola University, also known as Bennett’s Medical College, and was there graduated with the class of 1911, Dr. Hoover subsequently spent a year in a Chicago hospital, where he gained practical knowledge and experience in his profession, In 1912 he located in Orestes, where he has since been actively engaged in his chosen work, and has likewise had charge of the Orestes School, He has been successful from the start, and deserves great credit for the position he has won as a teacher, a physician, a man, and a citizen.
Dr. Hoover married July 14, 1911, Josephine Rambo, a native of Lapel, Indiana, and they have one child, Frances. Politically the Doctor is a Democrat; fraternally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Sheridan, Indiana; and religiously he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.