RICHARD H. BRUNT. A life long resident of Madison County, Richard H. Brunt has in later years somewhat retired from the strenuous activities which brought him a large degree of material prosperity, but still lives upon and enjoys his fine country estate in Boone Township. This farm consists of two hundred and forty acres of fine land, which is situated about five and a half miles from Summitville, on what is known as the Brunt gravel road, along the rural free delivery route No, 24 out of Summitville.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Richard H. Brunt was born in Boone Township of Madison County about three miles west of Summitville, on the fifth of October, 1856. His parents were Thomas and Sarah Ann (Lee) Brunt, both of whom came from North Carolina, The mother was related to the same family which produced so many eminent men of the south, Thomas Brunt was a young man when he moved from North Carolina, and settled in Madison County, about 1833. The land on which he settled he attained from the government, and his patent was signed by President Andrew Jackson, As a pioneer he contributed his labors to the improvement and clearing of the land, and was a man of sturdy habits and wholesome influence in his community, In business he prospered, and before his death had become one of the large land owners of Madison County, The ten children in his family were as follows: William D.; James A. J.; Elizabeth Noble; Nathan, Mrs. Lydia Swindle and Mrs. Sarah F. Black, deceased; John R.; Samuel F., deceased; Mary F. Hudson, deceased; and Richard H. Brunt.
Richard H. Brunt grew up in Boone Township, and as soon as he had reached the proper age he became a pupil in the schoolhouse near the old farm. He finished his education at Osceola, Indiana, Farming and stock raising has been the calling which he has pursued with much diligence and success, and from boyhood to the present time has been familiar with all the details and processes of country life, During his earlier years he was associated with his brother in the management of the home farm, He got his start by renting a piece of land from his father, and gradually got ahead in the world and became independent. Mr. Brunt was first married to Dora A. Runyan, who is now deceased and is buried in the Alexander cemetery. The four children of their union are: Samuel E.; John C.; Oscar H., who married Miss Blanch McDermitt, deceased; and A. J. Brunt, Jr,, who married Zola Neal and has one child, Hazel Alice, The second marriage of Mr. Brunt united him with Miss Carrie J. Thomas, Their two children are Loessie Hazel, who wedded Wilbur E. Runyan, and Forrest Lee, Mrs. Brunt died August 8, 1412, and was laid to rest in the Alexander cemetery.
Mr. Brunt is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Sweetzers Lodge No, 475; with the Improved Order of Red Men, Neoskaleta Tribe No, 149; the Knights of Pythias, Gas Belt Lodge No, 361; and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at Alexander, No, 274. The family have membership in the Christian church and all the male members of the Brunt household are Democrats, Mr. Brunt has a very oattractive and comfortable home with excellent out-buildings and all the equipment necessary for the conduct of a twentieth century farm, The estate of Mr. Brunt is known as “The Cherry Grove Stock Farm,”